Author Topic: Trump Promises Aggressive Campaign to Cut Drug Prices  (Read 498 times)

Offline endicom

Trump Promises Aggressive Campaign to Cut Drug Prices
« on: May 11, 2018, 07:09:32 pm »
Bloomberg
Anna Edney
May 11, 2018

Donald Trump said he would propose the most sweeping plan in U.S. history to lower drug prices, an attempt to meet a promise from his campaign that has largely gone unaddressed so far in his presidency.

“We’ll have much lower prices at the pharmacy counter and it’ll start taking effect immediately,” Trump said in a speech in the White House Rose Garden. “We’re also increasing competition and reducing regulatory burdens so drugs can be gotten to the market quicker and cheaper.”

The Trump administration released a blueprint called American Patients First that aims to increase competition for medicines and reduce patients’ out-of-pocket costs. Under the plan, rules preventing government health programs from securing deeper discounts on drug prices would be lifted, the U.S. would push other developed countries with tighter price controls to pay more for medicines, and new incentives would induce drugmakers to lower list prices and prevent them from gaming the system to extend their monopolies.

More... https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-11/trump-drug-speech-will-propose-more-competition-to-lower-costs

Offline Applewood

Re: Trump Promises Aggressive Campaign to Cut Drug Prices
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 09:53:02 pm »
I'm fortunate that I have good insurance and my meds are relatively inexpensive.  But I know so many who are struggling even with insurance to afford their medicines. 

My problem right now is my insurance is trying to dictate to me what drug I can take to control diabetes.  I have done well with Glyburide, but then it became a Tier II drug -- more expensive copay.  Ok, I could live with that.  But then last year the doctor insisted I switch to another drug -- Glipizide, a Tier I drug.  Ok, I tried it for a few months.  Didn't work.  Went back to Glyburide. 

Then in February, I received a letter from the insurer saying I cannot get Glyburide unless my doctor makes a special request for authorization stating that I have to have this drug to control diabetes.  Now, the online pharmacy where I get the drug lists a regular price of $20 for a 90-day supply.  Not bad.  So I asked if I could just get the drug without going through the insurance.  I was told no. 

I may try to get the drug through Canada.  I take a low dose which Canadian pharmacies don't have, but I can get a higher does and just cut the pill in half.  It just bugs me that my insurance is dictating to me what medicines I can take.  I'd like to see Trump's proposals address that issue. 

Offline endicom

Re: Trump Promises Aggressive Campaign to Cut Drug Prices
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 10:14:33 pm »
I'm fortunate that I have good insurance and my meds are relatively inexpensive.  But I know so many who are struggling even with insurance to afford their medicines. 

My problem right now is my insurance is trying to dictate to me what drug I can take to control diabetes.  I have done well with Glyburide, but then it became a Tier II drug -- more expensive copay.  Ok, I could live with that.  But then last year the doctor insisted I switch to another drug -- Glipizide, a Tier I drug.  Ok, I tried it for a few months.  Didn't work.  Went back to Glyburide. 

Then in February, I received a letter from the insurer saying I cannot get Glyburide unless my doctor makes a special request for authorization stating that I have to have this drug to control diabetes.  Now, the online pharmacy where I get the drug lists a regular price of $20 for a 90-day supply.  Not bad.  So I asked if I could just get the drug without going through the insurance.  I was told no. 

I may try to get the drug through Canada.  I take a low dose which Canadian pharmacies don't have, but I can get a higher does and just cut the pill in half.  It just bugs me that my insurance is dictating to me what medicines I can take.  I'd like to see Trump's proposals address that issue.

Trump is at least addressing the cost of drugs rather than piling on more programs like Medicare Part D that can only increase the cost.