Author Topic: Disney Stripped ‘A Wrinkle in Time’ of Christianity and Lost $100 Million  (Read 818 times)

Offline thackney

Disney Stripped ‘A Wrinkle in Time’ of Christianity and Lost $100 Million
http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2018/05/09/disney-stripped-wrinkle-time-christianity-lost-100-million/

Despite the presence of the some of the biggest stars in the world (Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine), despite coming from a children’s novel beloved for decades, despite the second-to-none marketing machine that is the Magic Kingdom, the movie was an economic catastrophe.

Globally, not just here in North America, but worldwide, Wrinkle grossed just $127 million. After tanking out at $96 million domestically, a Disney movie starring Oprah Winfrey was only able to gross an additional $31 million in 20-plus other countries.

With a production and advertising budget that reports peg at somewhere between $150 million and $250 million, that means the red ink landed somewhere between $86 million and $186 million, according to Yahoo News.

As Breitbart News reported at the time, the crucial mistake the filmmakers and Disney made was removing the Christianity from what is essentially a Christian children’s book.

My point is not that this act of anti-Christian bigotry hurt the movie by offending moviegoers, but that this act of bigotry stripped Wrinkle of if its central themes, and by extension, of all the substance and human insight that comes with Christian themes, which are also universal themes. According to countless reviews, what was left was a confection of empty calories: lovely CGI on the outside and a black hole of meaningless spirituality on the inside....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Good, maybe Oprah will take this as a message
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline thackney

'A Wrinkle in Time' ditches the book's explicit Christian references — and the movie really suffers because of it
http://www.thisisinsider.com/wrinkle-in-time-movie-changes-book-religion-christianity-ending-2018-3
Mar. 9, 2018

... but there was one major change made in the movie from the novel. The film's version of events strips away explicit mention of God or religion, instead trimming down the central conflict to one between "evil" and "light."

Though the film adaptation has several critical flaws — namely pacing and an off-kilter wobble between too much exposition and then not enough — the removal of L'Engle's religious overtones leads to a key issue.

By removing the religious themes, the movie version of "A Wrinkle in Time" loses part of its narrative arc. This leads to a confusing storyline and muddled message when it comes to the antagonist and the purpose of the celestial characters of Mrs. Who, Mrs. Whatsit, and Mrs. Which....

...Author Madeleine L'Engle, who died in 2007 at age 88, spoke about the importance of her own Christian faith as it relates to "A Wrinkle in Time."

"If I've ever written a book that says what I feel about God and the universe, this is it," L'Engle reportedly wrote in her journal. "This is my psalm of praise to life, my stand for life against death."...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I love the way they think - here's a childhood book which is loved by many so we are going to make it into a movie and change it all up and remove most of that which they loved.  How could that go wrong?