Author Topic: Draining the Food Stamp Swamp  (Read 354 times)

Offline endicom

Draining the Food Stamp Swamp
« on: May 09, 2018, 01:36:15 pm »
Townhall
Star Parker
May 9, 2018

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program is high on the Republican list of programs targeted for reform -- and justifiably so.

The program has gone from 17 million enrollees in 2000 to about 43 million today, with outlays up from about $25 billion to more than $70 billion.

The Trump administration's budget submitted last February includes major reforms to the program, designed to save $216 billion over the next decade.

More... https://townhall.com/columnists/starparker/2018/05/09/draining-the-food-stamp-swamp-n2478736

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: Draining the Food Stamp Swamp
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 01:40:58 pm »
It needed doing.
But if you invoke the old "I saw a food stamp user getting into their brand new Escalade"  story, I am going to ask you why you are stalking them. That's just creepy.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Re: Draining the Food Stamp Swamp
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 08:47:57 pm »
Ok, so the article suggests, "Instead, the best idea is to expand work requirements for getting benefits. The House bill requires 80 hours of work per month to receive ongoing benefits. This for those 18-49, with no dependents, and parents of school-age children, up to the age of 60. For any new or changed requirements, let's have the states decide."

But based on the 95M non-working (ages 16-65) breakdown I was asking about elsewhere, all but 5M of the non-workers are 1) homemakers/caregivers, 2) retirees, 3) disabled, or 4) college students.  Of these groups, the people who are on welfare would seem to be pretty dependent on SNAP and can't work outside the home.

So that would leave the 5M "other" non-working group, poor-but-working adults, and Senior Citizens as adult welfare beneficiaries.  Which of those people can be forced to work (more) for their SNAP?

I'm sure I'm missing something here.   Where are all these non-working SNAP users???

Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.