Author Topic: Tesla Model S Bursts Into Flames After "Horrific" Crash, Killing Two Men Trapped Inside  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-05-09/tesla-model-s-bursts-flames-after-horrific-crash-killing-two-men-trapped-inside

Less than two months after a Tesla Model X burst into flames in Mountain View, CA after a gruesome crash attributed to an autopilot error trapped the driver in the burning car resulting in his death, Tesla tragedy has struck again after two 18-year-old men died, trapped in a fiery Model S crash near Fort Lauderdale beach Tuesday evening, the SunSentinel reported.

As WPLG reports, in the "horrific crash" of the Tesla Model S with three young people hit a wall and then caught on fire, while a third teen was ejected from the car.

According to Battalion Chief Greg May, of Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue, the Tesla Model S burst into flames after it wrecked about 7:30 p.m. and the two men who died were trapped inside.

A third man, also 18, who was in the backseat of the Tesla Model S, was thrown from the car when it crashed in the 1300 block of Seabreeze Boulevard, said Tracy Figone, a spokeswoman for the Fort Lauderdale Police Department. He was hospitalized. His condition was not known.

Offline Frank Cannon

Tesla has some serious problems on it's hands. I'll be shocked if they make it through the year.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Rich parents buying $75000 sportscars so their teenagers can drive wildly around.

I blame the parents. 
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Frank Cannon

Rich parents buying $75000 sportscars so their teenagers can drive wildly around.

I blame the parents.

LOL. Really? See any wrecked Lexus's or Benz's exploding?

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Reminds me of the famous Ford Pinto in the 70s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgOxWPGsJNY
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline RoosGirl

Letting an 18 year old boy drive a $100k car?  Man that's dumb.  Kid should been driving an old Ford truck; safer and he can learn some mechanic skills.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Reminds me of the famous Ford Pinto in the 70s.

A classmate got a new Pinto for her 17th birthday. My dad asked her dad, a local OB/GYN, why he picked a Pinto. The doc said he knew they would give him a good deal after the "exploding Pintos" story came out.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Letting an 18 year old boy drive a $100k car?  Man that's dumb.  Kid should been driving an old Ford truck; safer and he can learn some mechanic skills.
LOL, depends on how old that Ford truck is! Ford has it's own problems with trucks and cars spontaneously combusting.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/08/ford_massive_recall.html

! No longer available

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/ford-recalls-570000-vehicles-for-engine-fire-risk-door-latch-trouble/article34471584/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
So the guy who was ejected, (likely no seat belt on) lived....  Hmmmmm.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

A classmate got a new Pinto for her 17th birthday. My dad asked her dad, a local OB/GYN, why he picked a Pinto. The doc said he knew they would give him a good deal after the "exploding Pintos" story came out.

LOL. Cheap bastard.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Brother Elon five days earlier:

"Oh and uh short burn of the century comin soon. Flamethrowers should arrive just in time."

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-05-04/musk-meltdown-continues-twitter-elon-accuses-analysts-pushing-short-thesis
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
One would think that with no fuel system or combustion engine, the risk of a car fire wouldn't be nearly as high.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!

I blame the parents.

! No longer available
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

One would think that with no fuel system or combustion engine, the risk of a car fire wouldn't be nearly as high.

It still is stored chemical energy.  Fire is "just" oxidation of the material.  Li-ion battery are very concentrated chemical energy.  They burn intensely.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

! No longer available
Years ago, I bought my daughter one that color. She liked it, even though changing out the starter was a pain, but she drove it for years (and her mom and I knew where she was...it was the only one in town).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

World's Greatest Dad for sure. Either he didn't believe the stories, or he wanted to get rid of his daughter. That is like buying a box of hand grenades for $1 each because they tend to explode prematurely.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

LOL. Really? See any wrecked Lexus's or Benz's exploding?
Toyota certainly does.

Toyota recalls 21,700 Camry, Lexus models on fire risk
http://www.autonews.com/article/20180215/RETAIL07/180219824/toyota-recall-camry-lexus-fire-risk-nhtsa
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

World's Greatest Dad for sure. Either he didn't believe the stories, or he wanted to get rid of his daughter. That is like buying a box of hand grenades for $1 each because they tend to explode prematurely.
It was only a couple of years that had the problem, and I'm not so sure it wasn't overblown like the GMC side tanks on pickups (Which the TV folks were caught rigging to burn.)

C S Lewis

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
One thing I've always worried about is so much is automated in Tesla's through the infotainment system- far more than most other cars. To open the front boot without the keyfob requires going several menus deep. To open it with the power off requires removing a plastic panel and using a special tool.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.