Author Topic: Schneiderman May Be Busted, But He Still Got Away With It  (Read 433 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Schneiderman May Be Busted, But He Still Got Away With It
« on: May 08, 2018, 10:09:53 pm »
The former New York Attorney General has his day of reckoning, but why did it take so long?
By Marc Giller
https://www.themaven.net/theresurgent/contributors/schneiderman-may-be-busted-but-he-still-got-away-with-it--n9GZdBHcUCvdvt4KAxD8Q/?full=1

. . . That Schneiderman is also a prominent Democrat who harbored ambitions for higher office only makes the scandal doubly odious, touching off a storm of schadenfreude amongst conervatives as they catalog the hypocrisy of a man who seemingly used his progressivism as an indulgence to compensate for his brutal treatment of women. But while that reaction is understandable—particularly in an era where every Republican sin, whether real or imagined, is inflated by the media into an indictment of the whole party—conservatives need to tread lightly, never forgetting that there are real victims in this sordid business, and that their pain is nothing to be gleeful about. Moreover, we should all be grateful for the courage of those women who finally chose to speak out, and put an end to a cycle of abuse and intimidation that should never have been allowed to happen in the first place.

Which brings us to the question: How did Schneiderman get away with it for so long?

As Farrow’s story makes clear, fear at coming forward and accusing such a powerful man certainly played a part. Serial abusers are very adept at making their victims feel powerless, the better to keep them from breaking free—and serial abusers are often quite charming, making it that much more difficult for others to believe them capable capable of such things . . .

. . . The article goes on to cite another one of Schneiderman’s girlfriends, a prominent attorney who declined to be named, who hints at a darker reason so many of those who knew remained silent . . . She allowed herself to be victimzied by this man for the sake of his personal pleasure, and said nothing about it. . .all because he’s doing good things? . . . Then there’s this additional episode . . . A woman, reaching out to friends when she’s at her most frightened and vulnerable—and they tell her that the man who beat her up is simply too important for any of that to matter.

That’s the political moment we’re in. And that’s why, no matter what happens to Eric Schneiderman, he’s already gotten away with it.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline endicom

Re: Schneiderman May Be Busted, But He Still Got Away With It
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 10:31:43 pm »

Nothing new here. If you want to get away with murder then just claim to be pro-abortion.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 03:47:47 am »
@EasyAce  Thanks for posting this article!  It rings distressingly true.  I think many of us have been making excuses for awful behavior because we desperately want heroes ;(.  I feel for the women in this; I can't imagine how frightening it would to feel that helpless and alone.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 03:50:16 am »
@EasyAce  Thanks for posting this article!  It rings distressingly true.  I think many of us have been making excuses for awful behavior because we desperately want heroes ;(.  I feel for the women in this; I can't imagine how frightening it would to feel that helpless and alone.
@LauraTXNM
It's not limited to one political party, either, anymore. And it's not always because we want "heroes" so much as too many are too willing to overlook too much for the sake of the so-called "greater good," whatever it happens to be in a particular hour.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.