Author Topic: Meet the Renegades of the Intellectual Dark Web  (Read 1739 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Meet the Renegades of the Intellectual Dark Web
« on: May 08, 2018, 04:18:22 pm »
Meet the Renegades of the Intellectual Dark Web

An alliance of heretics is making an end run around the mainstream conversation. Should we be listening?

By Bari Weiss   |   May 8, 2018

Here are some things that you will hear when you sit down to dinner with the vanguard of the Intellectual Dark Web: There are fundamental biological differences between men and women. Free speech is under siege. Identity politics is a toxic ideology that is tearing American society apart. And we’re in a dangerous place if these ideas are considered “dark.”

I was meeting with Sam Harris, a neuroscientist; Eric Weinstein, a mathematician and managing director of Thiel Capital; the commentator and comedian Dave Rubin; and their spouses in a Los Angeles restaurant to talk about how they were turned into heretics. A decade ago, they argued, when Donald Trump was still hosting “The Apprentice,” none of these observations would have been considered taboo.

snip

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/opinion/intellectual-dark-web.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long article. About the media you don't hear much about, until people like Jordan Peterson and Candace Owens suddenly jump onto the front page, and Fox News

Quite a few libs, but the ones who favor free speech.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Meet the Renegades of the Intellectual Dark Web
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 04:22:59 pm »
Yesterday I posted a comment on a site I read occasionally.  I then got an email that my comment had been removed.  Here's the text of that email, including my comment:

Your comment on ‘The Dreamtime, science and narratives of Indigenous Australia’ has been removed.
There are several reasons why this may have occurred:

1.   Your comment may have breached our community standards. For example it may have been a personal attack, or you might not have used your real name.

2.   Your comment may have been entirely blameless but part of a thread that was removed because another comment had to be removed.

3.   It might have been removed for another editorial reason, for example to avoid repetition or keep the conversation on topic.

For practical reasons we reserve the right to remove any comment and all decisions must be final, but please don’t take it personally.

If you’re playing by the rules it’s unlikely to happen again, so feel free to continue to post new comments and engage in polite and respectful discussion.

For your reference, the removed comment was:

Your science would be vastly improved by putting much less emphasis on politically correct “ethics” and “inclusion”. The science should be able to stand on its own. Go fearlessly where it takes you.

For more information you can read our standards.

*****rollingeyes*****

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 07:41:32 pm »
Yesterday I posted a comment on a site I read occasionally.  I then got an email that my comment had been removed.  Here's the text of that email, including my comment:

*****rollingeyes*****

I regularly read, but rarely comment on a DNA site called "eupedia.com" which has some smart folks. Most of the discussion is about DNA Haplogroups, subgroups etc. Ancient migrations, ancestry origins, etc.

It often discusses physical appearance, for example guessing what ethnic/nationality a photograph could be.

That then can lead to remarks about race, ethnicity etc. This site is very quick to head off anything that could be construed as "racism."

That "community" is heavily Europe-wide, not USA. So you can witness people from cultures with centuries of conflict, getting "modded" to stop.

(The site leader is brilliant Belgian, multi-lingual; his maps can be seen prominently . The next person with the most posts, is an Italian American)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 07:51:21 pm »

Yeah, but apparently Aussies feel so much self-contempt vis a vis the Aborigines, that even suggesting that science should not be influenced by political correctness is an offense.    :shrug:

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 07:59:32 pm »
Yeah, but apparently Aussies feel so much self-contempt vis a vis the Aborigines, that even suggesting that science should not be influenced by political correctness is an offense.    :shrug:
I get the impression you are referring to Aussie "white guilt?"

From what I have read on the subject, Aboriginal Australian IQs test near the bottom of the spectrum. 

There are people on the IDW that openly discuss such subjects.  Without shouting "racism," etc.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 11:40:35 pm »
I get the impression you are referring to Aussie "white guilt?"

From what I have read on the subject, Aboriginal Australian IQs test near the bottom of the spectrum. 

There are people on the IDW that openly discuss such subjects.  Without shouting "racism," etc.

What do you do with that information, @truth_seeker?  Do you treat individual AAs differently, because you think you know the average IQ of AAs? 

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 01:13:28 am »
What do you do with that information, @truth_seeker?  Do you treat individual AAs differently, because you think you know the average IQ of AAs?
I do nothing.

But if I was charged with education anywhere, I would stay out of the fantasy delusions of telling everybody they could/should go to college, and the government should pay for it.

But the point was topics like this get discussed on the IDW, intelligently, constructively etc.

The sites and speakers sure are much more interesting to me, than rote repetitions, from many f the usual characters, in more mainstream places.

Candace Owens and Jordan Peterson are now mainstream, because what they said on IDW interested folks.

Ben Shapiro, Stefan Molyneax, and many others too.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 01:28:37 am »
I do nothing.

But if I was charged with education anywhere, I would stay out of the fantasy delusions of telling everybody they could/should go to college, and the government should pay for it.

But the point was topics like this get discussed on the IDW, intelligently, constructively etc.

The sites and speakers sure are much more interesting to me, than rote repetitions, from many f the usual characters, in more mainstream places.

Candace Owens and Jordan Peterson are now mainstream, because what they said on IDW interested folks.

Ben Shapiro, Stefan Molyneax, and many others too.

OK, I can agree with that answer.

So, how do you get to this dark web?  I'm interested.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 04:47:51 pm »
OK, I can agree with that answer.

So, how do you get to this dark web?  I'm interested.
@Sanguine
I simply started watching stuff on YouTube. They tend to have each other, on their shows.

Ben Shapiro, Jordan Peterson, Candace Owens, Dave Rubin, Tommy Sotomayor, Soctt Adams, Stefan Molyneaxx, Eric Weinstein, Sam Harris, Bret Weinstein, Joe Rogan, Steven Pinker, Heather Heying, others on youtube

Some are liberals. But they cnverse civilly with conservatives, and share the idea of uncensored media & free speech.

Bret Weinstein is the professor that was hastled at Evergreen Univ.  His brother Ericis mega-smart; tackles big issues from systems POV, not political dogma.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 05:00:21 pm by truth_seeker »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 05:44:33 pm »
@Sanguine
I simply started watching stuff on YouTube. They tend to have each other, on their shows.

Ben Shapiro, Jordan Peterson, Candace Owens, Dave Rubin, Tommy Sotomayor, Soctt Adams, Stefan Molyneaxx, Eric Weinstein, Sam Harris, Bret Weinstein, Joe Rogan, Steven Pinker, Heather Heying, others on youtube

Some are liberals. But they cnverse civilly with conservatives, and share the idea of uncensored media & free speech.

Bret Weinstein is the professor that was hastled at Evergreen Univ.  His brother Ericis mega-smart; tackles big issues from systems POV, not political dogma.

Yes, some of the people listed are very serious thinkers.  It's great that they talk to each other.