Author Topic: Nuclear Power Outlook  (Read 1121 times)

Offline thackney

Nuclear Power Outlook
« on: May 08, 2018, 03:36:37 pm »
Nuclear Power Outlook
https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/aeo/section_issues.php#npo
 5/7/18

In EIA’s Annual Energy Outlook 2018 (AEO2018) Reference case, U.S. nuclear power generating capacity is projected to decline from 99.3 gigawatts (GW) to 79.1 GW over the projection period of 2017–50. To address some of the uncertainty surrounding this projection, this article presents sensitivity cases under different assumptions for oil and natural gas availability, nuclear power unit costs, and carbon policies.

The sensitivity cases results presented here illustrate three different types of uncertainty (Table 1):

* The uncertainty related to higher or lower levels of natural gas availability as addressed in the High Oil and Natural Gas Resource and Technology case and the Low Oil and Natural Gas Resource and Technology case.

* The uncertainty of lower or higher operating and capital costs for both new and existing nuclear units.

* The uncertainty of alternative levels of carbon emissions regulation, as represented by different fees on the emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2)....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Nuclear Power Outlook
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 03:39:20 pm »
Shocking

So the outlook isn't glowing?

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 03:40:59 pm »
Shocking

So the outlook isn't glowing?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 03:25:40 am »
Ironically, nuclear is the most efficient and least polluting of any source of power.

It main drawback is the increasing stockpiles of spent fuel and their ultimate disposition.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 11:40:36 am »
Ironically, nuclear is the most efficient and least polluting of any source of power.

It main drawback is the increasing stockpiles of spent fuel and their ultimate disposition.

I disagree, the main drawback is the very high capital costs and the amount of time it takes to get one built. That's the main killer. Time and money and nukes are high on both.

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 11:55:06 am »

When sanity is used, reprocessing of fuel greatly diminishes this drawback.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 03:49:25 pm »
Funny thing is, the younger generation gets it.  They tend to be pro-nuclear, as they're so anti-carbon.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn