Author Topic: Republicans Fear Roy Moore Redux In West Virginia  (Read 1371 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Republicans Fear Roy Moore Redux In West Virginia
« on: May 07, 2018, 04:30:07 pm »
An anti-establishment ex-con is giving establishment Republicans a run for their money
By David Thornton
https://www.themaven.net/theresurgent/contributors/republicans-fear-roy-moore-redux-in-west-virginia-AYLLLovp0UyjYGwiUpfrVw/?full=1

For years, it seems that Republicans have been plagued by bad candidates. Even before last year’s Roy Moore fiasco in Alabama, there was
Todd “Legitimate Rape” Akin in Missouri who claimed in 2012 that a woman’s body could “shut down” a potential pregnancy during a rape. In 2010, Christine O’Donnell told Delaware voters, “I’m not a witch.” Before that, there was the time when Louisiana Republicans nominated a former Grand Dragon of the Ku Klux Klan, David Duke, for governor. Now there are fears that Republican voters may be about to make a similar mistake . . .

. . . The current candidate that has Republicans in a panic is West Virginia senatorial hopeful, Don Blankenship. Blankenship is among the Republicans attempting to unseat Joe Manchin (D), a popular former governor who was elected to replace Robert Byrd (D) in the Senate in 2010. Any Republican challenging Manchin is in for a tough race.

As far as we know, Blankenship isn’t a white supremacist or a witch. At this point, his views on “legitimate rape,” are also not known. The problem with Blankenship is that he is an ex-convict.

In West Virginia, a coal mining state, Don Blankenship went to prison for his role in the deaths of 29 miners in 2010. Blankenship served one year on a misdemeanor conviction for conspiring to violate federal safety standards at the Upper Big Branch mine after being acquitted of several felony charges. Blankenship was released in May 2017 and immediately began a Twitter feud with Sen. Manchin. Because Blankenship was not convicted of a felony, he did not lose his right to vote. On his campaign website, he calls himself a “political prisoner.”

So, why would anyone vote for Don Blankenship? . . . President Trump is among the Republicans who realize the danger of nominating Blankenship. Trump tweeted this morning, “Don Blankenship, currently running for Senate, can’t win the General Election in your State...No way! Remember Alabama. Vote Rep. Jenkins or A.G. Morrisey!” . . . If Blankenship does not win the nomination, he may still scuttle the eventual Republican candidate. He has vowed not to support Morrisey and says he is considering a third party candidacy, even though West Virginia has a “sore loser” law against such campaigns.

If West Virginia Republicans back Blankenship in this week’s primary, Republicans may lose one of their best chances to pick up a Democrat Senate seat and enlarge their majority . . .
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 05:06:53 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Republicans Fear Roy Moore Redux In West Virginia
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 04:39:23 pm »
@mountaineer Why would Blankenship oppose Morrisey in the event Morrisey wins the primary?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 08:15:40 pm »
@mountaineer Why would Blankenship oppose Morrisey in the event Morrisey wins the primary?
Because he's an idiot.
No, seriously, I don't know.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 02:59:51 am »
Latest articles I've seen show Blankenship taking the lead.
But... there still seems to be a sizable portion of the Republicans in the undecided column.

Is the primary tomorrow?
Guess we're gonna find out.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 03:06:22 am »
Latest articles I've seen show Blankenship taking the lead.
But... there still seems to be a sizable portion of the Republicans in the undecided column.

Is the primary tomorrow?
Guess we're gonna find out.
@Fishrrman
Yes, their primary is tomorrow.

Cross the crossables . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 03:11:11 am »
Washington republicans fear damned near everything.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 11:45:35 am »
I plan to vote this morning - will see what kind of turnout we have. FWIW, pro-2A groups in W.Va. strongly support Morrisey, and he's my candidate, too.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 03:09:30 pm »
I plan to vote this morning - will see what kind of turnout we have. FWIW, pro-2A groups in W.Va. strongly support Morrisey, and he's my candidate, too.

@mountaineer

Anything to report from the frontline?   ^-^

Thanks.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 11:39:19 pm »
No intell from me. I was out planting green beans.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 11:57:41 pm »
It looks like the polls closed in West Virginia about 25 minutes ago.

And while it's kind of silly to bank on this early a return, ABC News has a very early count showing Morrisey with 589 votes to Blankenship's and Jenkins's 80 each.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 12:12:53 am »
Frequently updated results from WV may be found HERE

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 01:27:18 am »
Slightly over fifty percent of precincts reporting . . . Morrisey has a huge lead (38 percent of the vote) over Jenkins (26.63 percent) and Blankenship (18.70 percent) . . .

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 02:08:00 pm »
Thank God.  An guy who went to prison for complicity in the death of miners.  That's a lot worse to me than cheesy sex scandals because it actually goes to job performance in office.