Author Topic: Facebook Reveals How It Will Determine ‘Trustworthiness’ of News Outlets to ‘Shift the Balance’  (Read 615 times)

rangerrebew

Facebook Reveals How It Will Determine ‘Trustworthiness’ of News Outlets to ‘Shift the Balance’

by Charlie Nash3 May 201894

Alex Hardiman, Facebook’s head of news products, revealed further details about the social network’s plans to “rank” news outlets by “trustworthiness,” during the Facebook Developer Conference this week.

“For too long, I think it’s safe to say, the news feed unintentionally incentivized the wrong type of behavior. We sometimes saw that volume and engagement and clicks often won out over quality journalism and serious news,” Hardiman declared. “The reality is that not all news is created equal, and so we’re confident that the changes we’re making will improve the quality of news for people by quite a bit over the next 12 to 24 months. Now our first step in emphasizing high-quality news is focused on ranking changes in News Feed, designed to shift the balance of the types of news that people see.”

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/05/03/facebook-reveals-how-it-will-determine-trustworthiness-of-news-outlets-to-shift-the-balance/

Oceander

Anyone who counts on Fb for news is a Darwin Award contestant in waiting.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"....we have determined now, as before, the editors and fact checkers at NYT, WaPo, CNN and MSNBC set the industry standards, for their balanced and fair coverage."

"....and not those low down dirty rotten cheaters at Breitbart, Circa, WSJ, and Fox"

"Once  again FB brings you the very best, in (intentional manipulation) news"

sarcasm off
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Anyone who counts on Fb for news is a Darwin Award contestant in waiting.

You have to admit, however, that a significant demographic VOTER lives on FB and their algorithm certainly affects/sways one's POV.

So, while your assertion may be true, the SOBs vote.   And they'll be stoked 24/7 come October.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

You have to admit, however, that a significant demographic VOTER lives on FB and their algorithm certainly affects/sways one's POV.

So, while your assertion may be true, the SOBs vote.   And they'll be stoked 24/7 come October.

Hey, the nomination of Trump was all the proof I needed for now damned stupid a majority of Americans are.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Hey, the nomination of Trump was all the proof I needed for now damned stupid a majority of Americans are.

"Stupid is as stupid does"
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.