Author Topic: The Movie of the Multipliers (Chappaquiddick)  (Read 858 times)

Offline endicom

The Movie of the Multipliers (Chappaquiddick)
« on: May 06, 2018, 01:29:41 am »
Liberty
Stephen Cox
Apr. 5, 2018

Excerpt:

Political multipliers can be mildly amusing, innocently useful, morally disgusting, or existentially disturbing. In the case of the Kennedy family, they are terrifying. One of the Kennedys — John — had intelligence, courage, and a personality that was attractive in many ways. On its own, this ensemble of good attributes would probably have gotten him nowhere important in the political life of his time. His success depended on multipliers — a large fortune; an ambitious, politically manipulative father, good at surrounding young John with media toadies; a family ethic that sanctioned and demanded constant, conscienceless lying; a support base of fanatical Irish Catholics prepared to vote for anyone who shared their ethnic and religious identification, no matter what that person did; and an unbroken phalanx of media writers and performers for whom “Jack” embodied fantasies of male potency and sophisticated “culture.” His assassination provided another mighty multiplier, so mighty that sane people should thank God every morning that his brother, Edward (“Teddy,” then “Ted”) Kennedy, the inheritor of John’s manufactured charisma, never realized his life’s purpose of attaining the presidency.

Few readers of this journal need to be reminded of the fact that Edward Kennedy had no good qualities whatever, political or otherwise. Yet he might have become president; and after he died, he continued to be celebrated by crazed or cynical followers who would have hounded any person without his multipliers out of politics, if not out of the country.

More... http://libertyunbound.com/node/1835

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: The Movie of the Multipliers (Chappaquiddick)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 01:50:39 am »
Jason Clarke, who plays Kennedy in this film, and director John Curran, both apparently modern liberals, seem to think that Kennedy rebuilt not only a career but a self; they seem to believe that he became a genuinely great political figure

One can google Jason Clarke and before they see the movie, will think, he doesn't look anything like Teddy Kennedy, then, I went and saw it and it was really pretty fantastic.  And I mean in how this actor really took on Teddy Kennedy's qualities.

The things, I didn't know about that time, weekend, That is when we landed on the moon for the first time, so this story took a backseat to that monumental  event.

What's amazing, is that the movie, story really put Chappaquiddick in perspective, I had seen pictures of the place but it took the movie (not having ever been there), to get a grasp on the situation, from what I see, it's just a tiny bridge, see images:

So, it was really a small bridge, with no guardrails and tragedy happened.

Then, I guess, this is when they afterwards, must have put some guardrails in though, these aren't too big at that.

It seemed like an accurate portrayal, per the movie, John had the charm, Bobby the intelligence,  Joseph Jr., heroism.... and which left Teddy with being... whatever you want to call it, the flop, something like that.  And incompetent that night alright, I think of what happened as in the movie and as I've read it, okay, they couldn't get the door open, could he have not thought to get a rock and break a window to get her out? That's what keeps coming back to me. Otherwise, someone has to see it to make their own judgements.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 01:56:41 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: The Movie of the Multipliers (Chappaquiddick)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 01:51:45 am »
In the first image, there looks like a farmhouse in the background.  Makes me wonder. Could he have gone there for help?

Trailer, I really found it intriguing:

! No longer available
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 02:04:06 am by TomSea »