Author Topic: Missouri Legislature Calls Special Session to Consider Impeaching Governor Eric Greitens  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Missouri’s Republican-held House and Senate called a special session to consider impeaching embattled GOP Gov. Eric Greitens.

The decision Thursday comes amid mounting pressure on the governor to resign over criminal charges that he tied up and photographed an undressed woman with whom he was having an affair, without having obtained her consent. He has also been charged with felony computer tampering over his use of a charity donor list during his 2016 campaign. His trial begins in St. Louis on May 14.

Read more at: https://www.wsj.com/articles/missouri-legislature-calls-special-session-to-consider-impeaching-governor-eric-greitens-1525397307
The Republic is lost.

Offline mountaineer

Good grief, this guy really screwed up! Here's more from the St. Louis Post Dispatch:
...  The push for a special session comes as Greitens battles for his political life.

He will be tried May 14 in St. Louis Circuit Court on a felony invasion of privacy charge alleging he took and transmitted a photo of his partially undressed lover without her consent. A second felony case charges him with felony computer tampering for taking the donor list in question. He also faces a lawsuit in Cole County Circuit Court over alleged destruction of public records.

Wednesday’s report found that Greitens ran an off-the-books political campaign in 2014, took a private charity’s donor list to raise campaign funds and lied about that list in a signed statement to the state’s ethics commission.

The report showed Greitens and associates lied in campaign filings, a class A misdemeanor, and violated campaign finance law — a civil offense — when he operated a shadow campaign before filing required paperwork with election authorities. ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Why The Prosecutor In The Eric Greitens Case Could Be The One Who Ends Up In Jail
It is very possible that Kim Gardner will lose this trial, and the process by which this case was handled will prove a case study in how not to prosecute.
By Dave Grossman   
March 21, 2018

It didn’t take long for the wheels to start coming off the wagon of St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner’s prosecution of Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens.

An indictment with dubious origins and few facts has led to a trial with almost unbelievable moments of legal comedy. There was the initial hearing, when the prosecution admitted to the judge that they don’t have evidence to win the trial. Then there the moment when the prosecutors had to tell the defense that they didn’t have the photo that is supposedly the reason for the indictment in the first place.

And last, but most certainly not least, there was the moment when the prosecution allegedly broke the law by bringing on a prosecutor who was serving elsewhere as a criminal defense attorney. Yep, that’s a crime in the state of Missouri, and the prosecution allegedly committed it. Whoops.

It’s been my experience, after decades in law enforcement, that prosecutors tend to know the difference between what is and is not a crime. Most of the time, that is. In the case of Kim Gardner, I’ll admit: I’m not sure she does. Because in her action against Greitens, she appears to have missed the boat on what a crime is. In this case, she has no victim, very little evidence, no legal standing — and given all that, almost no hope of conviction. The slipshod work by the prosecution led one high-level member of law enforcement in the state of Missouri to call this “a clown show prosecution,” and that opinion is widely shared in legal and law enforcement circles in Missouri.   ...  More at the Federalist
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I wonder if this wasn't a punk to get the legislature to remove him soley on accusation, or as political fodder in an election year.

Hoping she gets her butt thrown in jail for these shenanigans.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Suppressed

I wonder whether he knew he was going to go down hard and that's why he switched to the GOP.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn