Author Topic: This billionaire just put half his net worth into gold  (Read 1536 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
This billionaire just put half his net worth into gold
« on: May 01, 2018, 07:44:05 pm »
The chairman of Orascom Telecom Media and Technology Holding S.A.E. told Bloomberg in an interview from Cairo this week that he sees gold surging up to $1,800 an ounce while the “overvalued” stock market hits the skids. .....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/this-billionaire-just-put-half-his-net-worth-into-gold/ar-AAwABYe?ocid=spartanntp

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: This billionaire just put half his net worth into gold
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 07:51:52 pm »
Yeah right. I have been listening to the gold bugs predict this shit for over a decade. Fact is that spot gold prices are a bigger rigged game than stocks could ever hope to be.

Bottom line, this ain't happening for any long period of time.

Offline ABX

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 07:55:19 pm »
Yeah right. I have been listening to the gold bugs predict this shit for over a decade. Fact is that spot gold prices are a bigger rigged game than stocks could ever hope to be.

Bottom line, this ain't happening for any long period of time.

He isn't talking about extremes like the doomsayer gold bugs keep predicting, just a short term correction with a move from 1300 to 1800/ounce.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 08:00:29 pm »
He isn't talking about extremes like the doomsayer gold bugs keep predicting, just a short term correction with a move from 1300 to 1800/ounce.

That's pure wishful thinking that gold is going to run up $500 an ounce this year. You may as well play the Crypto game.

Offline ABX

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 08:04:31 pm »
That's pure wishful thinking that gold is going to run up $500 an ounce this year. You may as well play the Crypto game.

That isn't that much of an extreme. That is a similar pattern we saw in 2012 with similar prices.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 08:08:30 pm »
If we go back to the gold standard for the U.S. dollar, then gold will go up a lot.  (I admit that I haven't kept up with the gold standard proposal that I heard a while back.)

Speaking of wishful thinking, Frank, I do wish we had gold-backed currency again.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 08:10:28 pm »
That isn't that much of an extreme. That is a similar pattern we saw in 2012 with similar prices.

Yea, but it was ramping up for a year prior to that and the hysteria fed itself until people wised up. Right now prices have been flat  for a long time.....

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 08:13:12 pm »
If we go back to the gold standard for the U.S. dollar, then gold will go up a lot.  (I admit that I haven't kept up with the gold standard proposal that I heard a while back.)

Speaking of wishful thinking, Frank, I do wish we had gold-backed currency again.

Right. So we could have a handful of corrupt clowns in London set the price of our money instead of a handful of corrupt clowns in DC.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 08:36:12 pm »
Right. So we could have a handful of corrupt clowns in London set the price of our money instead of a handful of corrupt clowns in DC.

Mebbe so, jus' mebbe. 

(I am no monetary policy wag, but I suspect that a handful of corrupt clowns in London are already the ones who are "setting the price of our money.") 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 08:51:41 pm »
Mebbe so, jus' mebbe. 

(I am no monetary policy wag, but I suspect that a handful of corrupt clowns in London are already the ones who are "setting the price of our money.")

I have my fingers crossed for internet money to become stable and naturally take over. As long as the big banks and countries keep their hands off it, it may have a chance of becoming what we all thought gold was years ago.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 11:11:43 am »
I have my fingers crossed for internet money to become stable and naturally take over. As long as the big banks and countries keep their hands off it, it may have a chance of becoming what we all thought gold was years ago.
The "big banks and countries" keeping their hands off it has about as much of a chance of happening as Rochester freez—well, you get the picture.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 11:51:23 am »
The "big banks and countries" keeping their hands off it has about as much of a chance of happening as Rochester freez—well, you get the picture.

Whose to say the big banks or CIA aren't behind some of these cryptocurruencies
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.