Author Topic: Student sues WCSD for punishments over pro-gun shirts  (Read 350 times)

rangerrebew

Student sues WCSD for punishments over pro-gun shirts
« on: April 25, 2018, 06:02:51 pm »
Student sues WCSD for punishments over pro-gun shirts
By Staff |
Posted: Wed 1:49 AM, Apr 25, 2018  |
Updated: Wed 8:38 AM, Apr 25, 2018

RENO, Nev. (KOLO) An eighth-grade student is suing the Washoe County School District, claiming he was punished for wearing pro-gun shirts to school.

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday, April 24, 2018, claims the student's First Amendment rights were violated and his political speech suppressed when he was told on two occasions to cover up shirts with pro-Second Amendment messages.

According to the complaint, the first incident happened November 20, 2017, when the student, only identified as G.M. was punished for wearing a shirt promoting the local business Sparks Black Rifle. The shirt has a picture of a rifle under the store's name. The school district's dress code prohibits depictions of "anything that promotes weapons".

http://www.kolotv.com/content/news/Student-sues-WCSD-for-punishments-over-pro-gun-shirts-480779191.html

rangerrebew

Re: Student sues WCSD for punishments over pro-gun shirts
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 06:05:27 pm »
I would really be interested to know if the school system allowed students to participate in the anti-gun walkouts a couple weeks ago.  If they did, did any students make signs that depicted guns in someway, such as a gun in a circle with a line through it.  If students did, were they punished too?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Student sues WCSD for punishments over pro-gun shirts
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 07:46:08 pm »
I would really be interested to know if the school system allowed students to participate in the anti-gun walkouts a couple weeks ago.  If they did, did any students make signs that depicted guns in someway, such as a gun in a circle with a line through it.  If students did, were they punished too?

I don't know about the signage, but there was a WaPo story about that march in Reno a couple weeks back, so the school did let the kids out for it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: