Author Topic: Anyone can compost their food waste (and everyone should)  (Read 437 times)

rangerrebew

Anyone can compost their food waste (and everyone should)
« on: April 25, 2018, 04:57:27 pm »

And it doesn’t have to smell.
By Claire Maldarelli April 20, 2018

When we think of composting, we tend to think of enormous dumpsters full of everything you didn’t eat for dinner that day, mixing together into an earthy, smelly, nasty concoction that seems to have a life of its own. But at its most basic level, composting is simply the deconstruction of any organic material. And it’s probably already happening, whether you realize it or not, in your kitchen’s plastic-lined garbage bin.

In honor of Earth Day, consider this: In a study on the efficiency of household composting, researchers had a series of households compost for an entire year and tracked the waste they avoided. They found that, on average, composting saved 277 pounds of waste per person per year. Those scraps would otherwise have gone to a landfill or other garbage treatment facility. The results of the study, the researchers say, show that organic waste that would normally be placed in the garbage can be reduced by more than 80 percent.

https://www.popsci.com/how-to-compost
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:58:03 pm by rangerrebew »

Online roamer_1

Re: Anyone can compost their food waste (and everyone should)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 05:09:06 pm »

That's pretty true... Since my divorce, I have come out of town and went back to a country way of doing things...

The difference in garbage is absolutely stunning. When I started here, I would have to pack down the can every week, barely being able to have enough room, and even sometimes having to borrow space elsewhere, or take a trip to the dump... For me, by myself.

First, less packaging, growing my own...
Add composting, chickens, and burning paper products in the wood stove (for ash for composting)...

I never brought the garbage can out ALL WINTER LONG. By myself, I seriously produce a kitchen garbage can of garbage a month... Mostly plastics and tin cans. It is hardly worth having garbage service anymore.