Author Topic: Breaking: UK Judge Denies Parents Request To Take Son Alfie Evans To Italy For Medical Treatment  (Read 1739 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: HOTAIR

URL: https://hotair.com/archives/2018/04/24/breaking-uk-judge-denies-parents-request-take-son-italy-medical-treatment/

Ed Morrissey

Remember the Charlie Gard case? Parents of the young child had to watch the National Health Service in the United Kingdom allow him to die after refusing to allow the child to leave the country for experimental treatment. The diagnosis was too dire and the case considered too terminal for parental wishes to be considered.

A ghastly rerun is taking place, this time with Alfie Evans, only this time the diagnosis is unclear — and he’s surviving on his own after a court ordered him removed from a ventilator:

Mr Justice Hayden also appeared to rule out his family’s wishes to take the 23-month-old to Italy for treatment.

Alfie has been at the centre of a life-or-death treatment battle, with his parents, Tom Evans and Kate James, trying to stop his doctors at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool from withdrawing life support in a sometimes acrimonious six-month dispute which has seen a series of court battles.

Last night life-support was withdrawn but Alfie, who has a degenerative neurological condition destroying his brain, has shocked medics by continuing to breathe unaided for nearly 24 hours with an air ambulance on stand by to fly the child to Italy.

But in a blow to Alfie’s parents and their supporters dubbed Alfie’s Army, Mr Justice Hayden, speaking to lawyers representing Alfie’s parents and Alder Hey Hospital, suggested he has ruled out further treatment in Italy or Germany.

The Associated Press reported earlier today that the Vatican had offered to provide Alfie with medical care. Italy granted Alfie citizenship to try to smooth the process, but the UK has dug in its heels:

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
The West has become a culture of death and slavery.

Methinks Judgement might be that another culture of death and slavery wipes it from the face of the earth.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
So instead of appearing magnanimous and compassionate in allowing Alfie to leave for experimental treatment at NO COST to Britain, these sadistic bastards will go down in history as some of the most vile humans to have walked this earth.

F*%k single payer health "care" and all that it brings with it.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Frank Cannon

You folks seem to be under the misconception that the UK is a free country. They are not and never have been.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
No, no delusion...just defies belief that some people in an otherwise purported "civilized" society prefer enabling/advocating a child suffering to death vs. allowing the parents to seek what ever care may be made available.

Has to do with compassion, not freedom.  IMO, Britain is no better than the other EU countries in that they deem a human life unworthy of consideration.  The Nazis did win afterall.

Yeah, yeah, Godwin's Law.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Applewood

You folks seem to be under the misconception that the UK is a free country. They are not and never have been.

For that matter, neither is the US -- especially lately.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

Universal Heathcare is universal death.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Frank Cannon

For that matter, neither is the US -- especially lately.

Way freer than them. I can't see a situation where the govt' would be able to keep US parents from flying their kid anywhere for treatment.

Offline Applewood

Way freer than them. I can't see a situation where the govt' would be able to keep US parents from flying their kid anywhere for treatment.

Not yet, but if we aren't ever watchful, it will happen here.  There are a number of people in this country who actually think it's a good idea to have government dictate who can and can't get health care when and where they choose.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Well....there was that case with the girl with mitochondrial disease, Boston, I think, and they held her for maybe a year.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
England I believe had that other case and remember, President Trump told PM May, the child could come here. So, this is already, the 2nd case like this.  Charlie Gard, that was him.

Offline Stevensr123

It seems like some people are a bit misinformed on this case.

Over 20+ medical experts from the UK, US, even the place they want to take them, have said his condition won't improve. In fact it's impossible to improve his condition. The damage is already done sadly, over 40% of his brain has been damaged beyond repair. So unless there is some kind of new drug that has been kept from the world comes into light, the simple fac is he won't be able to survive.

The kid is already struggling with life support, is on all sorts of drugs to take away his pain etc

Completely understand and feel for his parents, at the same time though it's horrible for the child to basically be kept alive for the short while he can by a bunch of machines and drugs.

Which creates a question, who is doing the "Christian thing", the people wanting to keep using machines and drugs to keep a child that is obvously on the path of passing away, or the people who are "wanting" him to pass away peacefully.

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Over 20+ medical experts from the UK, US, even the place they want to take them, have said his condition won't improve. In fact it's impossible to improve his condition. The damage is already done sadly, over 40% of his brain has been damaged beyond repair. So unless there is some kind of new drug that has been kept from the world comes into light, the simple fac is he won't be able to survive.

The kid is already struggling with life support, is on all sorts of drugs to take away his pain etc

Completely understand and feel for his parents, at the same time though it's horrible for the child to basically be kept alive for the short while he can by a bunch of machines and drugs.

Which creates a question, who is doing the "Christian thing", the people wanting to keep using machines and drugs to keep a child that is obvously on the path of passing away, or the people who are "wanting" him to pass away peacefully.

Obviously, the English are not overly familiar with the "Christian thing".

Much of the damage may have occurred while the hospital/English government was holding the child and not allowing treatment elsewhere.

I think you are missing the main point.  The parents have secured alternative treatment for the child that will not require a single pence of English money.  There is a helicopter there, the Pope has arranged Italian citizenship, and they have an alternative treatment.  At this point, and correct me if I have some point wrong, the parents are not even able to interact with their child, and are certainly not allowed to take their child - not the English government's child - to try another treatement, or even to die at home.  That is execrable and inexcusable. 

Offline mrclose

This same scenario occurred with Charlie Gard when an air ambulance was ready and waiting, financial donations were secured and the British Government refused the parents the right to fight for the life of their child!

If a parent cannot make decisions for their child because they are prevented from doing so by their government, that government has assumed ownership over that child.

Wonder how this would play out if the child was of the "Royal Family?"
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Silver Pines

@Stevensr123

No.  The point is that the state is preventing the parents from taking their child elsewhere for treatment, which is their right.  The state has no say in the matter.  The father tried to remove his own baby from the hospital, but the cops prevented it.  That’s the only point here.

Silver Pines

Much of the damage may have occurred while the hospital/English government was holding the child and not allowing treatment elsewhere.

I think you are missing the main point.  The parents have secured alternative treatment for the child that will not require a single pence of English money.  There is a helicopter there, the Pope has arranged Italian citizenship, and they have an alternative treatment.  At this point, and correct me if I have some point wrong, the parents are not even able to interact with their child, and are certainly not allowed to take their child - not the English government's child - to try another treatement, or even to die at home.  That is execrable and inexcusable.

@Sanguine

I know that a lot can be said about this Pope, but in this case, he deserves credit and thanks for the wonderful thing he’s doing.  Or trying to do, anyway.

Offline skeeter

Even the Norks release Otto Warmbier.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Even the Norks release Otto Warmbier.

Well,  yeah,  but he he was essentially dead by then.

Offline Stevensr123

@Stevensr123

No.  The point is that the state is preventing the parents from taking their child elsewhere for treatment, which is their right.  The state has no say in the matter.  The father tried to remove his own baby from the hospital, but the cops prevented it.  That’s the only point here.
I agree to an extent, but in some cases I think there should be barriers when it comes to the care of a child.
Just because your the parent of a child, doesn't give you sole authority of the child, if that was the case they all Muslims would be extremely happy what they would be able to do...

In this case, all the doctors and experts basically said, its a hopeless situation and moving him would cause more pain to him and result in his death.

Even taking him "Home" would cause that, and at the end of the day the hospital where doing what they felt was the correct decision for the child’s health and pain.

Even the place in Italy that said they might be able to "treat" him said there wouldn't be a cure, they jumped on the band wagon for other reasons than to help the child.

End of the day, it wasn't "the government" getting involved, it was doctors and nurses doing what they thought was best for the child. The parents have zero qualifications/experience/what ever and where blinded by love, naturally.  The amount of hate and Violence  directed towards this amazing people who do so much good, was disgusting for me. it is also alder hey, probably the best children’s hospital in the country

And I hate the government haha, but I don’t think this is a government issue.

Either way, very sad stuation all around and RIP little fella.  **nononono*

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 09:09:51 am by Stevensr123 »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
RIP indeed, the toddler passed on.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43933056

Alfie Evans: Legal battle toddler dies

Alfie Evans, the 23-month-old toddler at the centre of a High Court legal battle, has died, nearly a week after his life support was withdrawn.

The boy from Merseyside, who had a degenerative brain condition, died at 02:30 BST, his father Tom Evans said.

On Facebook he wrote: "My gladiator lay down his shield and gained his wings... absolutely heartbroken."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline dfwgator

Offline Hoodat

A Tale of Two Babies

Derek Hunter     |     Posted: Apr 29, 2018 12:01 AM

One of the smartest things our Founding Fathers did was resist the urge to follow most of human history and rid this country of the concept of nobility. And thank God they did. If they hadn’t, we’d be “subjects,” subservient to the state and a ruling class. The eternal wisdom of the men who created the United States of America was on full display again this week thanks to the different ways two babies are being treated by our old colonizers.

The Royal Family in England welcomed a new baby this week, little Prince Louis Arthur Charles. And good for them, babies are a joy. They can be a handful, but a joy nonetheless. When you have millions of dollars and a staff, the “handful” part is likely much less, but the joy part remains.

Little Louis is being showered with attention, both by his family (and their staff) and the media. Moreover, the world is following the latest news involving the newborn who sits fifth in line for the throne.

Also in England, a 23 month of boy named Alfie Evans was not in line for any throne. He, too, was getting media attention, but not nearly as much as the newly minted Royal. The attention Alfie received was not a celebration of his life, it was waiting for this death.

https://townhall.com/columnists/derekhunter/2018/04/29/a-tale-of-two-babies-n2475604

----------------------------------------------------

There is no question that had this been Prince Louis, there wouldn't have been a court anywhere in the entire British Commonwealth that would have ordered armed guards to prevent that baby's parents from bringing their son home from a hospital that denies life-supporting treatment for that same infant patient.

This sickens me to no end.  The only thing that makes this worse is hearing American liberals calling for the US to adopt the same socialized medical system that the UK has.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-