Author Topic: Newsweek: What is the Sovereign Citizen movement? Waffle House shooting suspect Travis Reinking used  (Read 2505 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
What is the Sovereign Citizen movement? Waffle House shooting suspect Travis Reinking used term after arrest
By Michael Edison Hayden On 4/23/18 at 12:51 PM

Travis Reinking, a 29-year-old man who police said opened fire on patrons of a Waffle House in the Antioch area of Nashville, Tennessee, killing four, called himself a “sovereign citizen” in July of 2017 while clashing with Secret Service outside of the White House.

Reinking used the term after trying to enter the grounds of the White House, according to a police report. He told police that he was a sovereign citizen, and needed to inspect the grounds.

The phrase “sovereign citizen” is likely to raise questions about his motives, which police have yet to determine. The term may refer to a movement that is monitored by the FBI for its links to domestic terrorism. While it’s not yet clear if Reinking’s choice of self-identification is linked to this crime, the group has long caught the attention of authorities and civil rights group.

Read more at: http://www.newsweek.com/sovereign-citizen-movement-waffle-house-shooter-897711

We will see, if anything more comes of this part of the story.

Offline TomSea

Travis Reinking Manhunt: Alleged Waffle House Gunman Thought Taylor Swift Stalked Him And Other Odd Behavior
By Alex Perry 04/23/18 AT 1:09 PM

Reinking has a history of bizarre behavior. Illinois police records show that he told first responders that he believed pop singer Taylor Swift was stalking and harassing him. In May 2016, Reinking claimed that Swift had hacked his phone and Netflix account and told him to meet her at a local Dairy Queen.

The police report stated that he had told authorities that Swift "was across the street yelling at him before she took off running."

http://www.ibtimes.com/travis-reinking-manhunt-alleged-waffle-house-gunman-thought-taylor-swift-stalked-him-2674507.

Offline TomSea

How did Waffle House suspect get guns?

Police said the AR-15 rifle he allegedly used in the attack at a Waffle House in a Nashville suburb had been confiscated from him just last year.

But authorities said the guns were returned to the suspect's father, Jeffrey Reinking, after he asked to keep them.

Sheriff Robert Huston in Tazewell County, Illinois, told a news conference on Sunday the father had promised he would "keep the weapons secure and out of the possession of Travis".

Read more at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43868840

The article goes on to say, the father has acknowledged giving Travis Reinking back his guns.   The father should be prosecuted, how could he do this in light of Travis's other erratic behaviors? I wouldn't think law enforcement would give back guns, even to parents??

He should have been committed or something, evaluation after the incident at the White House, the story goes on to mention some other unstable things he did such as wearing a pink dress, jumping into a swimming pool and exposing himself to life guards, weird stuff.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 06:19:25 pm by TomSea »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
They are a bunch of loons is what they are.  It's always funny to see them interact with he police when they pop up on LivePD.

The discussions the cops have with them is how I imagine it would go debating a Liberal snowflake in person.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Waffle House shooter is bat$hit crazy.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I would expect that the father will be civilly sued.

Offline austingirl

I would expect that the father will be civilly sued.

I think the father should be prosecuted as an accessory to murder.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Not disagreeing with the majority opinion on the father....however, consider that the son physically threatened his parents if said guns weren't returned to him.

What does a parent do?  Call the police?

Given the revolving door of justice today...that's 'suicide'.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Not disagreeing with the majority opinion on the father....however, consider that the son physically threatened his parents if said guns weren't returned to him.

That's easy, DC - you do the right thing.  IF he had threatened to shoot his parents, you sure as hell don't enable him to shoot others after you have clear evidence that he is at least capable of threatening that kind of thing.  I'm not sure why this would even be a question.

Offline austingirl

Yes, the parents should have called the police.

Offline TomSea

The victims certainly sound like victims of color, here are their names:
Among the victims is 29-year-old Taurean C. Sanderlin of Goodlettsville, Tenn., a restaurant employee who was fatally shot while standing outside. The others killed were customers: Joe R. Perez, 20, of Nashville; Deebony Groves, 21, of Gallatin, Tenn.; and Akilah Dasilva, 23, of Antioch.

Two others — Shanita Waggoner, 21, of Nashville, and Sharita Henderson, 24, of Antioch — remained hospitalized at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in stable condition on Monday. After the shooting, police said, Reinking was spotted fleeing shirtless into a wooded area behind his apartment.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-waffle-house-shooting-20180423-story.html

It makes me wonder a bit about 24 hour places, sometimes one needs them surely, people traveling and working, that is so.

Pictures of victims at link: http://www.wsmv.com/story/38015179/remembering-the-victims-of-the-antioch-shooting
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 04:20:44 pm by TomSea »

Offline Applewood

It makes me wonder a bit about 24 hour places, sometimes one needs them surely, people traveling and working, that is so.

Pictures of victims at link: http://www.wsmv.com/story/38015179/remembering-the-victims-of-the-antioch-shooting

You're not suggesting that being open 24 hours a day somehow contributed to this tragedy, are you? 

Seems to me most, if not all, of the recent mass shootings occurred during "normal" hours.  And the victims seem to be of every race, religion, ethnicity and lifestyle.

Please forgive me, Tom, but it's a bug to me when people try to blame these shootings on everyone and everything but the perpetrator who did the killing. 

Offline TomSea

I think I said in the other thread, too, just days before, last Tuesday, a week ago, he stole a car after taking it for a test run from a BMW dealership, per GPS tracking, they were able to track the car down to the apartment building where he lived.  Okay, they apparently, did not know the auto-thief stole this car and lived there.  There still seems to be a lot of red flags on this guy and that he should have been taken in.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-waffle-house-shooting-20180423-story.html

His prior behavior to me, means he should have already been under observation. Maybe we will find out he was, he was committed or something.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

If it had been one of my boys...they wouldn't have gotten their guns back.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline TomSea

You're not suggesting that being open 24 hours a day somehow contributed to this tragedy, are you? 

Seems to me most, if not all, of the recent mass shootings occurred during "normal" hours.  And the victims seem to be of every race, religion, ethnicity and lifestyle.

Please forgive me, Tom, but it's a bug to me when people try to blame these shootings on everyone and everything but the perpetrator who did the killing.

That you interpret this in that manner is of no surprise to me.

24 hours places like 7-Elevens, Waffle Houses have a long history of being robbed. One can deny that all they want.

Offline TomSea

A different story, at the end of 2017:

Mississippi man charged with murder after double shooting at Waffle House
Updated: Dec 28, 2017 - 3:50 PM

TUNICA COUNTY, Miss. - A Mississippi man turned himself in Wednesday for questioning in relation to the shooting death of Jeremy Jones, 24, and the shooting of Ladarious Hibbler.

The shooting took place outside a Waffle House in Robinsonville, Mississippi.

Police told FOX13 the shooting took place around 2 a.m. on Christmas Eve.

https://www.fox13memphis.com/top-stories/mississippi-man-charged-with-murder-after-double-shooting-at-waffle-house/669580707

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Tom, you are aware that there are a number of black people in the sovereign citizens movement?  In fact, I think Wesley Snipes was one of them. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 04:41:52 pm by Sanguine »

Offline TomSea

How did the family get the guns back from Law Enforcement? If it was the father who worked that out, obviously, that is faulty and I'd like to have sympathy with him but things certainly went way wrong.

Maybe Law Enforcement dropped the ball on this as well. I've never heard of them doing such things though, it is conceivable.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
They are a bunch of loons is what they are.  It's always funny to see them interact with he police when they pop up on LivePD.

The discussions the cops have with them is how I imagine it would go debating a Liberal snowflake in person.

Ever hear of this clown?

Ernie Wayne terTelgte likes to style himself as a Montana mountain man, dressing in buckskins, boots and tricornered hats and sometimes bearing an old muzzle-loading musket. He likes to elaborate upon his theories about so-called sovereign citizenship in a florid 18th-century style. But it isn’t a silly nostalgia act. The Bozeman man has, in fact, been challenging Montana’s courts and legal system in the name of his extremist belief system all while adopting anachronistic clothing and calling himself the “Natural Man.”

https://crooksandliars.com/2014/05/montana-s-natural-man-defies-courts-sets
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

Tom, you are aware that there are a number of black people in the sovereign citizens movement?  In fact, I think Wesley Snipes was one of them.

I do not question you, you are a very sincere honest person.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Ever hear of this clown?

Ernie Wayne terTelgte likes to style himself as a Montana mountain man, dressing in buckskins, boots and tricornered hats and sometimes bearing an old muzzle-loading musket. He likes to elaborate upon his theories about so-called sovereign citizenship in a florid 18th-century style. But it isn’t a silly nostalgia act. The Bozeman man has, in fact, been challenging Montana’s courts and legal system in the name of his extremist belief system all while adopting anachronistic clothing and calling himself the “Natural Man.”

https://crooksandliars.com/2014/05/montana-s-natural-man-defies-courts-sets

Yeah I've heard that name before.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 04:50:49 pm by txradioguy »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Ernie Wayne should be the 1st resident of a nation wide building program of Mental Institutions, Sanitariums  and loony Bins.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I do not question you, you are a very sincere honest person.

Whut?

Look it up, Tom.  He went to jail for refusal to pay his taxes.  Sheesh.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
! No longer available

The entire thing is funny enough, but the best part is when the Natural Man leaves court and climbs into an SUV.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline goatprairie

I have an ex high school classmate who is a member of this movement.  He is a professional who has refused to pay fed. taxes asserting that his occupation  is not liable. He actually did time in federal prison rather than pay taxes. 
These people claim that the fed. gov. has no jurisdiction over them, therefore, they don't have to pay fed. taxes.