Author Topic: South Korea stops blasting K-pop at North Korea across the DMZ ahead of nuclear talks  (Read 440 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
And the world say's Thank You Jesus!  Only a Muslim call to prayer is worse sounding.

South Korea stopped blasting the country's distinctive "K-pop" music and anti-communist rhetoric across the North Korean border on Monday, a move aimed at  "reducing military tensions between the South and North and creating a mood for peaceful talks" later this week.

"The Ministry of National Defense halted the loudspeaker broadcasts against North Korea in the vicinity of the military demarcation line," the ministry said in a statement.

A summit between the divided nations is scheduled for Friday at the border village of Panmunjom.

South Korea has been pumping propaganda and pop music across the border for more than two years. K-pop music generally features teen "girl bands" or "boy bands" that sing, dance and include other audio-visual elements. The genre, which originated in South Korea, is extremely popular across much of Asia and beyond.

The move follows Pyongyang recent peace gestures that included an announcement that it will shut down nuclear test facilities in Punggye-ri and suspend nuclear tests and long-range missile launches.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/04/23/south-korea-k-pop-dmz-north-korea-loudspeakers-nuclear-talks/541292002/

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."