Author Topic: Why the electric vehicle revolution will bring problems of its own  (Read 927 times)

rangerrebew

Why the electric vehicle revolution will bring problems of its own
April 17, 2018 by Martin Brueckner, The Conversation

After years of being derided as a joke by car manufacturers and the public, interest in electric vehicles has increased sharply as governments around the world move to ban petrol and diesel cars.

We have seen a tremendous rise in availability, especially at the premium end of the market, where Tesla is giving established brands a run for their money. Electric cars are likely to penetrate the rest of the market quickly too. Prices should be on par with conventional cars by 2025.

Electric cars are praised as the answer to questions of green and clean mobility. But the overall sustainability of electric vehicles is far from clear. On closer examination, our entire transport paradigm may need to be rethought.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-04-electric-vehicle-revolution-problems.html#jCp

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Why the electric vehicle revolution will bring problems of its own
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 08:40:07 pm »
There is no revolution.  It is a hobbyist cult filled with Smoke and mirrors to make it look like a "Movement".  It is headed by a few grifters and con men  and driven my the press.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 09:58:37 pm »
So no one else has to read the article, I'll post the closing paragraph which pretty well sums up the rest:

Electric cars are a quick-to-deploy technology fix that helps tackle climate change and improve urban air quality – at least to a point. But the sustainability endgame is to eliminate many of our daily travel needs altogether through smart design, while improving the parts of our lives we lost sight of during our decades-long dependence on cars.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 12:38:47 am »
So no one else has to read the article, I'll post the closing paragraph which pretty well sums up the rest:

Electric cars are a quick-to-deploy technology fix that helps tackle climate change and improve urban air quality – at least to a point. But the sustainability endgame is to eliminate many of our daily travel needs altogether through smart design, while improving the parts of our lives we lost sight of during our decades-long dependence on cars.

This whole POS article had that flavor of BS mixed into it, and yet not one single word about the dirty sources of electricity used to generate the electricity.  Rather than thinking of electric cars as "zero emissions," the correct way to view them is "emissions that are miles away from the car."  Having an electric car is like installing the exhaust pipe on the generation facility.

The author barely disguises his contempt for the American way of life, and really wants people crammed onto choo-choos, to take them from their overcrowded 'burbs to their menial jobs in overcrowded cities.  A New Yorker's paradise. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 12:50:06 am »
The liberal POS author  wishing for the demise of freedom to move about the country.  Mass transit  It is the e wave of the past

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 12:51:59 pm »

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 12:55:58 pm »
There is no revolution.  It is a hobbyist cult filled with Smoke and mirrors to make it look like a "Movement".  It is headed by a few grifters and con men  and driven my the press.

What this man says.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 01:09:16 pm »
 It will be a very long time before even a slice of a utopian driving future makes a dent in our society, and even then it will still be largely confined to the most major of urban centers.  The hype of electric and self driving vehicles is far exceeding the reality.   There is a fundamental sense of individualism in this country and a freedom of mobility that goes with it, and it has helped define who we are as a nation. We, as Americans, love to wander, and on our own terms too.