Author Topic: Mitt Romney comes in second place at Utah GOP convention, forced into primary  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Former GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney failed to secure the Utah Republican Party's nomination for Senate on Saturday, triggering a June primary.

In the second round of voting, state Rep. Mike Kennedy (R) won 50.88 percent of the vote, with Romney following with 49.12 percent, according to reports.

Because neither candidate secured 60 percent, the two will head to a June statewide Republican primary.

Read more at: http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/384301-romney-finishes-second-in-utah-gop-senate-primary?__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true
The Republic is lost.

Offline Applewood

I wish Romney would just go away.

Offline Frank Cannon

With this bizarre insiders Primary system the UT GOP has, being forced into a public primary is the kiss of death for the favorite. Milt is going to lose his ass.......and that will be delightful.

Online libertybele

Don't know much about the other guy, but I like Mitt.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online corbe

How come Franks buddy isn't running?

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
With this bizarre insiders Primary system the UT GOP has, being forced into a public primary is the kiss of death for the favorite. Milt is going to lose his ass.......and that will be delightful.

PLEASE.

:beer:

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

a loser once again.
Put the nail in the coffin, Utah.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mitt-romney-utah-senate-rape-gop-convention-mike-kennedy/
Mitt Romney said he is looking forward to a primary campaign after failing to win the nomination for the U.S. Senate seat in Utah at the state GOP convention. Romney won 49 percent of the delegate vote, but he was edged by Mike Kennedy, a Utah state representative who is also a medical doctor, attorney, and a leader of the new Utah School Safety Commission, which took form after the Florida school shooting, CBS Salt Lake City affiliate KUTV reports.

Romney said Saturday he expects to do well in the primary and the general election after coming in a close second to state lawmaker Mike Kennedy at the convention in suburban Salt Lake City.

The former presidential nominee appeared upbeat after it was announced that he was edged out by state lawmaker Mike Kennedy, who got 51 percent of the vote to Romney's 49 percent.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Great news!  Made my day!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
I'm not anti-Romney, but I do think the seat needs some fresh blood.

Also, I'm wondering if some of those who didn't vote for him saw him as a carpetbagger.

Offline Applewood

I'm not anti-Romney, but I do think the seat needs some fresh blood.

Also, I'm wondering if some of those who didn't vote for him saw him as a carpetbagger.

All of Congress could use some fresh blood.  That goes for all of the federal government from the president on down.

And if the voters saw Romney as a carpetbagger, it's probably because he is.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Just away Mittens.  Your time is up.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Just away Mittens.  Your time is up.

Don't look like Utah is too smitten with Mittens.
The Republic is lost.

Online roamer_1

This actually makes me happy... I thought he'd have it in a walk. It seems the Mormons can still see a liberal when it matters.

Offline dfwgator

Even Utahns  don't like carpetbaggers.

Offline Frank Cannon

Milt is a loser. He is going to fail again trying to win another elected position. Delightful.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Romney is the Hillary Clinton of the GOP.  Three time loser.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline montanajoe

This actually makes me happy... I thought he'd have it in a walk. It seems the Mormons can still see a liberal when it matters.

This was the GOP convention, party types that pay attention to politics 24/7 voting. When the primary comes around in June and the Mormons are actually voting I'd be surprised if he doesn't get at least 70% of the vote. He is very popular there... :shrug:

Offline Frank Cannon

This was the GOP convention, party types that pay attention to politics 24/7 voting. When the primary comes around in June and the Mormons are actually voting I'd be surprised if he doesn't get at least 70% of the vote. He is very popular there... :shrug:

Mittens was the favorite in that convention and still came up short. Kennedy is a popular figure in UT. He also has roots in the state. He is going to clean Milts clock.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Mitt Romney comes in second place at Utah GOP convention, forced into primary"

Second place?
Well deserved, Mitt.
Right where you belong!

Online roamer_1

Yeah, right... I see what you mean... But Mormons tend to be pretty Conservative - I am hoping, since it is Mormon v Mormon, that they will tend to vote their values.

Offline montanajoe

Yeah, right... I see what you mean... But Mormons tend to be pretty Conservative - I am hoping, since it is Mormon v Mormon, that they will tend to vote their values.

I've worked down there off and on since 82, done rather well, and have not/will not say anything against the Mormon's who in my view are one of the most socially conservative folks in the country and who walk the walk and talk the talk. Although I don't share their faith I understand that for the vast majority of the faith, their voting patterns reside in the idea that they vote for those who reflect the views of their religion not the political party they be a member of.. something I guess that has to do with their unshakable knowledge that core truths do not change no matter what the politician of the day tweets... :shrug:

Utah for years has had a dysfunctional convention system that in large part has been taken over by the hard right. Bless them, but they in no way reflect views of the Utah electorate.

Their high point was knocking out Bennett. IMO it is important to understand the local politics of this so called "defeat",  I have the same reservations with Romney refused to vote for him in 2012. The said claims that he will not win by folks with no knowledge of the local Utah politics and are just expressing their wishes of how they wished the world worked.

Some of those on the right, especially some of those on the political forums like his have a point of view that they desperately want others to believe as its seen as winning or losing the game. They peddle group think and as long as it conforms to their point of view which always comes down to some flavor of the argument that at least we are better than the other guys....we're cool and we will do what we said we will do next time... :whistle:

Romney will win Utah easily..

Offline Frank Cannon

I've worked down there off and on since 82, done rather well, and have not/will not say anything against the Mormon's who in my view are one of the most socially conservative folks in the country and who walk the walk and talk the talk.

Yeah. They would never bankroll gambling, drinking and prostitution.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Some of those on the right, especially some of those on the political forums like his have a point of view that they desperately want others to believe as its seen as winning or losing the game. They peddle group think and as long as it conforms to their point of view which always comes down to some flavor of the argument that at least we are better than the other guys....we're cool and we will do what we said we will do next time... :whistle:

To be honest, that's true of not just the people who argue "at least we're better than the other guys", but also those who claim we need to be more hardline.  Far too many people see what they wish to see rather than what is.

Offline montanajoe

Mittens was the favorite in that convention and still came up short. Kennedy is a popular figure in UT. He also has roots in the state. He is going to clean Milts clock.

@Frank Cannon

Been waiting for a couple of months to post a reply...yep your boy sure is popular and getting his clock cleaned... :silly:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/2018/06/27/mitt-romney-takes-huge/
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 02:28:43 am by montanajoe »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Romney, who is also the former Massachusetts governor and GOP presidential candidate, defeated his challenger, Dr. Mike Kennedy, a state lawmaker. Romney captured roughly 75 percent of the vote, according to FOX 13’s early analysis of numbers.

http://fox13now.com/2018/06/26/mitt-romney-wins-utah-gop-primary-race-against-mike-kennedy/
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 02:43:22 am by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln