Author Topic: Accepting Rights Award, Colin Kaepernick Decries ‘Lawful Lynching’  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Applewood

Accepting Rights Award, Colin Kaepernick Decries ‘Lawful Lynching’

AMSTERDAM — Amnesty International gave the former N.F.L. quarterback Colin Kaepernick its Ambassador of Conscience Award on Saturday for his kneeling protest of racial injustice, which began a sports movement and might have cost him his job.

Eric Reid, one of Kaepernick’s former San Francisco 49ers teammates, presented him with the award. In his acceptance speech, Kaepernick described police killings of African-Americans and Latinos in the United States as lawful lynchings.

“Racialized oppression and dehumanization is woven into the very fabric of our nation — the effects of which can be seen in the lawful lynching of black and brown people by the police, and the mass incarceration of black and brown lives in the prison industrial complex,” Kaepernick said.

“How can you stand for the national anthem of a nation that preaches and propagates, ‘freedom and justice for all,’ that is so unjust to so many of the people living there?” he said at Saturday’s award ceremony.

Excerpt.  More at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/21/sports/colin-kaepernick-amnesty-international.html

*****rollingeyes*****
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 11:26:36 pm by Applewood »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Colin Kaepernick wins Amnesty International top award
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 11:26:57 pm »
Colin Kaepernick wins Amnesty International top award

Colin Kaepernick, an American football player who in 2016 started kneeling during the national anthem played before matches in protest against police brutality against African Americans, has been awarded the rights group Amnesty International's top honour.

The former San Francisco 49ers star was handed the Ambassador of Conscience Award at a ceremony on Saturday in the Dutch capital, Amsterdam, by onetime teammate Eric Reid.

Read more at: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/04/colin-kaepernick-wins-amnesty-international-top-award-180421190533861.html

Note:
In his acceptance speech, Kaepernick described police killings of African Americans and Latinos in the US as lawful lynchings.

Okay, more whites are killed by Police, that's what Larry Elder always says...so, I'd like someone to ask him if these are included as "lawful lynchings" in his opinion. This was a story on the hourly radio news even if this is sourced from Al Jazeera.

Amnesty International has some decent reporting still; but some of their values undoubtedly are out of whack.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Righteously Cool he won.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline goodwithagun

I hope this black guy adopted and raised in white privilege never shuts up. He’s the gift that keeps giving.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goatprairie

I hope this black guy adopted and raised in white privilege never shuts up. He’s the gift that keeps giving.
I think it's a tragedy. He obviously strongly influences many young black kids who think they're all victims of terrible white racism.  It's a huge lie.
It's time black Americans learned the truth...the source of their problems, like all other people, are with themselves.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I am comforted in the knowledge that this racist will never play another down in the NFL.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
When will America finally have a Colinectomy?

Online mountaineer

This fool and Attention Hogg should get married.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org