Author Topic: Barbara Bush’s funeral: Why Melania Trump, Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton will be there  (Read 871 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Barbara Bush’s funeral: Why Melania Trump, Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton will be there
Washington Post, Apr 21. 2018, Gillian Brockell

A record five first ladies attended the funeral of Lady Bird Johnson in 2007: Nancy Reagan, Rosalynn Carter,
Laura Bush, Hillary Clinton and Barbara Bush.

A lot about being a first lady is unofficial. The title is invented, the job unpaid and the mandate unclear: Be fashionable but not flashy, be involved but not interfering. Pick a cause, make a mark — but not too much of a mark.

When first lady Melania Trump attends Barbara Bush’s funeral on Saturday in Houston, she’ll participate in another of these informal traditions. A delegation of first ladies has attended every funeral of another first lady since the 1960s.

<snip>

Four first ladies are again expected Saturday to honor Bush: Melania Trump, Michelle Obama, daughter-in-law Laura Bush and Hillary Clinton. Carter, 90, is recovering from surgery and unable to attend.

More:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2018/04/21/barbara-bushs-funeral-why-melania-trump-michelle-obama-hillary-clinton-will-go/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.218165c9ee5c

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Lots of history is included in the article.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Thanks for posting this @Right_in_Virginia, I will be sure to make time to read it later. Excuse me, I can't help it, does Willy Boy look like he's thinking "Why couldn't it be her"?

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Thanks for posting this @Right_in_Virginia, I will be sure to make time to read it later. Excuse me, I can't help it, does Willy Boy look like he's thinking "Why couldn't it be her"?

I don't want to jack this thread but... but Bubba does have that "Praying for the end of time
So I can end my time with you" look.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."