Author Topic: Back pain: Cause and effect  (Read 403 times)

rangerrebew

Back pain: Cause and effect
« on: April 21, 2018, 12:08:00 pm »

Back pain: Cause and effect
If you're mired in a morass of pain, a McKenzie-certified therapist might be the one to help pull you out.

By: Erin Burgess
    More articles by Erin Burgess
    April 5, 2018

Back pain is so common among Americans, it’s said to be normal.

Many patients have no idea what causes it. Studies have suggested that upwards of 60 percent of people develop this pain for no apparent reason.

The problem is there is a reason—we just have to find it.

https://healthbeat.spectrumhealth.org/understanding-pain-mckenzie-method/

Offline Victoria33

Re: Back pain: Cause and effect
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 12:41:04 pm »
@rangerrebew

Yes, one has to know what is causing the pain.  X-ray shows my L4 and L5 (lower back) disks have little to no cartilage between them.  If I sit on a hard surface like a wood chair with no cushion for an hour or more, I can't walk the next day due to pain.  An orthopedic surgeon said a back operation would not help me, could make it worse, and the best thing I could do is to stay at the weight I was as extra weight would cause more pain.  I carry a cushion in the car with a cut out where my spine would rest in the space cut out of that cushion, in case I go in a place that only has hard chairs.

I have said when I see God, I am going to tell him he screwed up backs and we should have been born with an extra spine in case the first spine deteriorates.  And we should have an extra knee or two in case the cartilage in our knees goes away as has happened to me.  My right knee is the pits due to little or no cartilage in it and it has been operated years ago.  I have a handicap hanger for the car so I can park near the door of a company.  Amazon has been a knee lifesaver so I don't have to walk a big store to find/get what I need.

What happened when an MRI was done on my right knee:
I was put in a chair and my leg was put inside a big MRI scanner.  Then, the attendant stopped, said she had to adjust the scanner.  Then she said, "You must have been a runner."  I said yes, how did she know.  She said the distance between my knee and foot was longer than most people and she had to adjust the machine to accommodate the extra length.  My legs are slender and to me, they look like everyone else's. I am 5' 5", not tall.  I was a runner in college and have two medals; one for the 50 yd. dash and one for hurdles.  I could outrun boys in elementary and high school - that didn't make me popular with boys.