Author Topic: Trump blasts OPEC, says cartel is keeping oil prices 'artificially very high' and that 'will not be  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I like cheap gas.  I hope Trump can do something about it.  I don't know how he can.
Cheap gas leads to expensive gas. If you want a stable price, sustained exploration and production are key. Otherwise, it's back to the boom/bust cycle that has plagued the upstream oil industry for the four decades I have been in it. Which is fine, if you like episodes of $5 gasoline, but bring the next boom on soon, because I'd like to replace my savings (again).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Trump is such a dumbass.  Instead of idiotic Tweeting, why doesn't spend some priority time on pushing Trans Canada or Keystone Pipeline legislation.

Hint Hint Orange fool.....    Lessening demand on OPEC products basically cuts their nuts off.

p.s. to the < Nope >....   wasn't this a campaign promise?
Actually, his EOs  were instrumental in the completion of the DAPL (held up by the protesters and Obama), now carrying roughly 500,000 BOPD from the Williston Basin (Bakken/Three Forks, and other plays). That cut transport costs by a couple of million dollars a day.
Horizontal drilling and completion costs will be higher than traditional vertical well costs. That's just the way it is.
 Oil at <$50, and drilling slows way down, $50 <oil>$60, sustained, if reduced drilling; oil>$60 increased activity..  Note, too, that offshore drilling costs are an order of magnitude higher than drilling on land. 

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Maybe he could implement price caps or freezes?  He could create something that uses a 'basic' or 'yardstick' year and all production and prices must be frozen against that unless approved by a select committee. That way, the prices are frozen at a low point and the production is also frozen so it doesn't screw up supply and demand?
Would you invest $8-10 million in drilling and completing a well knowing you  might not be able to recover your costs, much less make a profit if the well doesn't come in gangbusters? Hell, no, you'd go buy some cyber shit that doesn't get anyone down the road and won't put a sheet of toilet paper on the shelf at your local store. Great way to kill the industry. When production drops (as it naturally does as the reservoir depletes), and the foreigners want more than the price cap in the US, then what?
Will the government step in and order refineries to operate at a loss?
Or would they just 'nationalize' the industry, like Hugo Chavez?
One more thought: The dynamic prices of oil and gas produce economic environments which pay for the research and experimentation which yields new tools, techniques, and even new reserves of oil and gas. That exploration and development would slow to a crawl without the free flow of money and competition. cap that, and development would starve in a budget environment that fosters an attitude of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.""

As an aside:
I'm sorry, but it pisses me off when people even suggest that what I produce should have a price cap (and a low one) when what they produce has gone up in cost every year for me, no matter how cheap gasoline is. An army of us worked to reduce the cost of energy for everyone by half, and you greedy *****s want more? Show me one other industry that has cut their prices. It isn't health care, it isn't groceries, it d@mn sure isn't the price of the car you pump that gas into.  (Bitch about $2.50 gas, drinking that $1.50 a liter bottled water while pumping it into a $65K SUV. Where is the balance in that?)

C S Lewis

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
When I lived in Ca. the Sacramento Junta was openly and inordinately proud of the State NOT having built any new refineries in 30 years.

Problem there wasn't oil supply but refining capacity.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Night Hides Not

Cheap gas leads to expensive gas. If you want a stable price, sustained exploration and production are key. Otherwise, it's back to the boom/bust cycle that has plagued the upstream oil industry for the four decades I have been in it. Which is fine, if you like episodes of $5 gasoline, but bring the next boom on soon, because I'd like to replace my savings (again).

Oil prices between $50-$70 is a good spread for US producers, though I hesitate to call it a sweet spot.

We were on vacation in NM/West Texas a couple of years ago when the Saudis were trying to run the frackers out of business. Oil towns like Hobbs NM were virtual ghost towns. Hotels that were running 90% occupancy a few months before were hanging on at 25%, and a dozen more were nearing completion. Smart drillers can deliver a good profit above $50, above $70-75, the field gets more crowded.

I'm paying $2.60 a gallon in North Texas, thankfully I only have to fill up 2-3 times a month. Retirement is underrated.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I like cheap gas.  I hope Trump can do something about it.  I don't know how he can.
How about attempting to remove the federal gasoline taxes?  The companies that produce the crude, refine and market it take on all the work, and the federal government sits back, does nothing, and gets 18.4 cents per gallon on gasoline and even more, 24.4 cents per gallon on diesel.

Those figures are higher than what those companies get per gallon.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

It doesn’t help when he suggests gas tax hikes between 25-50 cents per gallon for infrastructure funding.

So much for tax cuts.  But hey if Trump can get OPEC to pay for our tax hikes who am I to complain?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.