Author Topic: Megafauna Doomed: Early Humans Drove Biggest Animal Species On Earth To Extinction  (Read 378 times)

rangerrebew

Megafauna Doomed: Early Humans Drove Biggest Animal Species On Earth To Extinction
By Shubham Sharma
04/20/18 AT 2:34 AM

A new study exploring the history of human migration and animal extinction suggests large animals roaming earth thousands of years ago started going extinct due to the activities of Neanderthals and other early human relatives.

More than a 100,000 years ago, planet Earth hosted megafauna in big numbers. Animals like wooly mammoths, which were bigger than modern-day elephants, ground sloths, saber-toothed tigers, and Glyptodon, nearly as big as a car, thrived for centuries.

But due to some reason, they all started fading away. Bigger animal species went extinct faster than their smaller counterparts, something that scientists describe as size-biased extinction in ancient biodiversity.

http://www.ibtimes.com/megafauna-doomed-early-humans-drove-biggest-animal-species-earth-extinction-2673664

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Well I can't find the census figures for 100,000 years ago but apparently there were only 5m of us 10,000 years ago.

I find it hard to believe that 5m of us were such a huge burden on creatures many times our size.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.