Author Topic: Are Republicans Draining or Filling the Swamp?  (Read 768 times)

rangerrebew

Are Republicans Draining or Filling the Swamp?
« on: April 20, 2018, 10:07:07 am »
April 20, 2018
Are Republicans Draining or Filling the Swamp?
By Chris Talgo and Lennie Jarratt

On March 9, 2010, Democratic Party speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi said, "We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it."  Pelosi's infamous words referred to the 2,300-page Affordable Care Act, now more commonly known as "Obamacare."

Democratic leadership, anticipating voter backlash, rushed to cram their controversial health care bill through Congress before the 2010 midterm election.  Democrats were in such a hurry to send the bill to President Barack Obama, they didn't have time to read it.

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2018/04/are_republicans_draining_or_filling_the_swamp.html#ixzz5DCp2rgCH

Offline endicom

Re: Are Republicans Draining or Filling the Swamp?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 12:00:54 pm »

The error here is in believing that Republicans, by and large, have had "core beliefs."

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 12:11:18 pm »
Tripling down on the number of swamp dwellers in the administration.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 12:22:02 pm »
Apparently what we're currently seeing IS the draining of the swamp (if the President is to be believed):

“From the day I took the oath of office, I’ve been fighting to drain the swamp, and sometimes it may not look like it, but believe me, we are draining the swamp.  And there are a lot of unhappy people.  You can see that every day. All you have to do is turn on the news. Every time you see me hit, you know that I’m draining the swamp. And people don’t like it.”

President Donald J. Trump, April 12, 2018

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/382883-trump-it-may-not-look-like-it-but-we-are-draining-the-swamp
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 01:40:50 pm »
Most "Republicans" in Washington are swamp dwellers themselves and have no intention to allow THEIR swamp to be drained in any significant manner!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 02:08:32 pm »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 03:07:36 pm »
The error here is in believing that Republicans, by and large, have had "core beliefs."

No wrong.  The Republicans DO have a "core belief".

They believe they can manage the Leftist agenda and Big Statism better than the Democrats can.

(Except they liked how Pelosi and Co. drafted multi-thousand page bills in secret and passed them before anyone had a chance to read them so much, that they decided to do the same thing with trillion dollar deficit spending bills).
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 02:21:54 am »
I'm not convinced replacing one group of swamp dwellers with his own preference for swamp dwellers equals draining the swamp.

Want to really drain the swamp?

Just abolish the jobs.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 02:25:41 am »
I'm not sure about the metaphor in the headline:  if you fill a swamp with something other than water (rock, topsoil,...) it can contribute to draining it, if you fill it with water, you get a lake instead of a swamp.

That said, the only progress toward what we would call "draining the swamp" seems to in the form of Trump's attempts to reign in the administrative state, other than that it looks like business as usual.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.