Author Topic: ESPN going to court over announcer accused of calling Venus Williams a ‘gorilla’  (Read 1061 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
By Fox Doucette
April 16, 2018 at 1:56pm

At the 2017 Australian Open tennis tournament, ESPN commentator Doug Adler described Venus Williams’ game as having a “guerrilla effect.”

ESPN (and many on social media, who savaged Adler for his perceived insensitivity) heard it as “gorilla effect,” widely considered a racial slur when directed at black athletes.

Adler, for his part, apologized, saying he “simply and inadvertently chose the wrong word” and claiming that he meant no offense to Williams or black people in general.

ESPN, though, wasn’t satisfied and promptly let him go.

Now, Adler is getting his day in court.

Adler is suing for wrongful termination on the grounds that ESPN’s reaction to the viral outcry led them to fire him for something he didn’t actually say.

https://www.thewildcard.com/espn-going-to-court-over-announcer-accused-of-calling-venus-williams-a-gorilla/
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Polly Ticks

I hope he wins.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline WingNot

I hope he wins.

Me too.   Especially with the Double Standard ESPMS employs with their treatment of on air talent.

Offline Polly Ticks

Me too.   Especially with the Double Standard ESPMS employs with their treatment of on air talent.

#YouToo ??
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline WingNot

Offline andy58-in-nh

Yeah, the Left really went bananas over this.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline WingNot

Yeah, the Left really went bananas over this.

It was a real Magilla.

Offline GrouchoTex

Doesn't sound like this Doug Adler fella is monkeying around.

Offline dfwgator

Funny how the liberals gave Muhammad Ali a pass for referring to Joe Frazier as a "gorilla".

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It's a good thing he didn't call her a "Wookie."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: