Author Topic: Rule change allows Duckworth to nurse newborn on Senate floor  (Read 809 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Rule change allows Duckworth to nurse newborn on Senate floor
ABC News, Apr 18, 2018

The United States Senate — a body steeped in tradition that rarely changes its ways — has passed a rule change proposed by Sen. Tammy Duckworth that will allow her to breastfeed her newborn daughter on the Senate floor.

The resolution, passed by unanimous consent, will allow all senators, men and women, to bring their children under the age of one onto the floor.

In a statement, Duckworth thanked her Democratic and Republican colleagues for “helping bring the Senate into the 21st Century by recognizing that sometimes new parents also have responsibilities at work.”

Last week, Duckworth, an Illinois Democrat, became the first sitting senator to give birth while in office — and with that, she’s experiencing for the first time in history how a new mother might try to balance the needs of a newborn with her duties in the Senate. Before the rule change, no children were allowed on the Senate floor, which could pose a host of problems for a senator with a newborn to take care of and feed, an aide to Duckworth said.

More:  http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/expected-rule-change-duckworth-nurse-newborn-senate-floor/story?id=54565569

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Rule change allows Duckworth to nurse newborn on Senate floor
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 11:42:14 am »
 *****rollingeyes*****
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 12:39:34 pm »
*****rollingeyes*****

Big yawner.   Now there will be 101 boobs on the senate floor instead of 100.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:48:50 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 12:42:20 pm »
Why does she get special treatment when the rest of us moms had to schedule pumping on our own time?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 12:51:08 pm »

Major Tammy Duckworth lost both legs in Iraq when the helicopter she was piloting was attacked in 2004.

https://www.stripes.com/news/the-pedals-were-gone-and-so-were-my-legs-1.34578
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:53:05 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 01:09:49 pm »
Why does she get special treatment when the rest of us moms had to schedule pumping on our own time?

Some people need a hand, while others require a leg up to stay abreast of the situation.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 01:21:05 pm »
What's the difference? The entire Federal government has been nursing off of taxpayers for generations.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 07:53:04 pm »
Just another Dem sucking on the Gov teat.

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 08:02:54 pm »

I nursed mine while I was at work.

Then again, I work from home full-time.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 08:20:59 pm »
I heard there was some concern about diaper changes, fussing, crying, drooling and of course, nursing.   I don't see an issue... those things happen on the Senate floor right now.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 02:01:56 am »
I heard there was some concern about diaper changes, fussing, crying, drooling and of course, nursing.   I don't see an issue... those things happen on the Senate floor right now.
That certainly was true when HRC was a senator,  anyway.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 11:31:16 am »

You mean besides the fact she's a Lib?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!