Author Topic: Freedom Caucus seeks to make McCarthy pay to become speaker  (Read 926 times)

Offline corbe

Freedom Caucus seeks to make McCarthy pay to become speaker

The conservative group could block his bid to succeed Paul Ryan.

By RACHAEL BADE and KYLE CHENEY
 04/18/2018 05:00 AM EDT

The Freedom Caucus is prepared to exact a price from Kevin McCarthy if he wants to be the next speaker of the House — three years after foiling his first bid for the job.

A POLITICO survey of about 20 of the conservative group’s three dozen members found varying degrees of openness to the California Republican known as a deal-making pragmatist. But nearly all the hard-liners said he’ll have to make concessions to win their support. Without it, they could block his path to the speakership.

“We’re not just going to rearrange the deck chairs around this place and keep doing the same stuff with different people,” said Rep. Scott Perry (R-Pa.), a caucus board member. McCarthy, currently the majority leader, “hasn’t earned my vote."

<..snip..>

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/18/kevin-mccarthy-house-freedom-caucus-531521
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Freedom Caucus seeks to make McCarthy pay to become speaker
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 07:02:04 pm »
I hope they stick to their guns on this.  Rep Perry is right we don't need more of the same old crap.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 07:04:50 pm »
The demands of the conservatives differ widely. Some Freedom Caucus members — including even one of the most pro-McCarthy conservatives, Rep. Joe Barton (R-Texas) — want to see one of their own installed in the ranks of Republican leadership. Others, like the group's outspoken leaders Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) or Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), want allies named to plum committees or considered for chairmanships.

A huge chunk of the group wants a speaker who will push Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) harder to take up conservative House-passed bills. And another slice, such as GOP Reps. Justin Amash of Michigan and David Schweikert of Arizona, are seeking legislative process changes, such as more amendments and debate, or specific conservative policy fixes.

I hope the House takes all this into consideration before voting for the Speaker who President Trump will appoint.

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 08:39:44 pm »
   History proves the House Freedom Caucus will settle for more Committee Assignments and $$$$ from the NRCC.  Boehner told Ryan how to shut them up and McCarthy will do the same, buy them off.  Unfortunately, this is our (Conservatives) Maginot line.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 09:07:58 pm »
I hope the House takes all this into consideration before voting for the Speaker who President Trump will appoint.
obvious civics-deficiency syndrome.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 09:23:59 pm »

????????
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 09:42:13 pm »
How about no?

Any promise he makes can be reneged upon. If his record shows he's not fit, he's not fit. No amount of bargaining can change that. Bargaining is how we got Paul Ryan, and we all know how that's turning out.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline bilo

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 10:53:12 pm »
I understand the need to compromise when you are not the majority of a party, but what exactly have the conservatives gotten?

I have seen no movement to the right on social issues. I have seen no movement to fiscal restrain on the budget. I have seen no movement on border security, or immigration reform. I have seen no govt. depts eliminated. What exactly are conservative Pubs getting by compromising?
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 09:56:43 pm »
I understand the need to compromise when you are not the majority of a party, but what exactly have the conservatives gotten?

I have seen no movement to the right on social issues. I have seen no movement to fiscal restrain on the budget. I have seen no movement on border security, or immigration reform. I have seen no govt. depts eliminated. What exactly are conservative Pubs getting by compromising?

Screwed.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline bilo

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 10:18:54 pm »
Screwed.

Right! And yet, we are expected to keep doing the same thing over and over again (support the liberal, big govt Pubs).

The Pubs have thrown away a generational opportunity. They have the House, Senate and Presidency and couldn't pass any serious social legislation. They couldn't cut funding, or govt. depts. They didn't defund any Sanctuary cities. They didn't reform the immigration system. They not only didn't eliminate Planned Parenthood funding they increased it!

I'm so disgusted with most of them that I don't care if they lose their majority. They've made it abundantly clear they don't know what to do with it.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 10:33:01 pm »
Speaker of the House.   Does not mean speaker of the conservatives who don't have enough votes to get anything at all done.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 02:21:09 pm »
Speaker of the House.   Does not mean speaker of the conservatives who don't have enough votes to get anything at all done.
It also doesn't mean speaker of the sellouts who don't WANT to get anything at all done.

The goal is to get someone who will herd both groups together to fix the mess they've foisted upon this country.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 05:04:06 pm »
So, who is the frontrunner among the posters on this site?

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 05:13:00 pm »

Don't appoint one.   That's what I want.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline corbe

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 06:42:28 pm »

@Rivergirl

Jordan or Meadows of the HFC would be my pick or hell, think outside the box and go Allen West. 
   Scalise would be better than McCarthy who is on odds favorite, right now, IMHO.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 06:52:26 pm »
   @Rivergirl

Jordan or Meadows of the HFC would be my pick or hell, think outside the box and go Allen West. 
   Scalise would be better than McCarthy who is on odds favorite, right now, IMHO.

Those are all very fine picks.
Scalise would have a something like a dramatic "rising-from-the-ashes" kind of effect.
I like it.
Hollywood couldn't script it better.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 07:07:47 pm »
Those are all very fine picks.
Scalise would have a something like a dramatic "rising-from-the-ashes" kind of effect.
I like it.
Hollywood couldn't script it better.

Yeah.  The guy who took the bullets.  I like it.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."