Author Topic: Media Misleads on Education: Public School Teachers Are Paid More Than Commonly Reported  (Read 682 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
During recent teacher walkouts in Oklahoma that captured national attention, many major media outlets reported misleadingly small figures for teacher pay. By failing to reveal all aspects of teacher compensation, these outlets hid the true costs to taxpayers—which now amount to an annualized average of about $120,000 for every public school teacher in the United States.

Read more at: https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/james-agresti/media-misleads-education-public-school-teachers-are-paid-more-commonly
The Republic is lost.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Where the hell is this? When my wife was teaching, the average salary in Texas was 36k with the total package value (value including benefits) still under $50k.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Where the hell is this? When my wife was teaching, the average salary in Texas was 36k with the total package value (value including benefits) still under $50k.

She was paid much better than I was!

Offline ABX

She was paid much better than I was!

This was just a couple of years ago. She finally quit after a few years teaching. It just wasn't worth it. She was spent about half her take home pay on supplies and curriculum and working over 70 hours per week. It was more cost effective for her not to work. Plus public school bureaucracy is a nightmare.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
This was just a couple of years ago. She finally quit after a few years teaching. It just wasn't worth it. She was spent about half her take home pay on supplies and curriculum and working over 70 hours per week. It was more cost effective for her not to work. Plus public school bureaucracy is a nightmare.

Same here.  On all points.  Granted, we did have a few weeks off in the summer...when we weren't doing CEU's, attending workshops, doing school prep, etc.

Offline ABX

Same here.  On all points.  Granted, we did have a few weeks off in the summer...when we weren't doing CEU's, attending workshops, doing school prep, etc.

Lol... I've had this conversation quite often. One of the biggest myths is teachers work part time and have summers off. In really, for most, they work twice the hours and are just as busy during the summer.