Author Topic: Do Older Brains Make New Neurons or Not?  (Read 475 times)

rangerrebew

Do Older Brains Make New Neurons or Not?
« on: April 18, 2018, 01:59:19 pm »
Do Older Brains Make New Neurons or Not?
By Nathaniel Scharping | April 5, 2018 12:37 pm

One of the most basic things our bodies do is make new cells. It’s what allows tissues to grow and heal, and allows our bodies to continually rejuvenate themselves.

When it comes to cellular replenishment, one of the places researchers are most interested in is the brain. The formation of new brain cells is of critical interest to researchers studying everything from brain injuries to aging to mental illnesses like depression.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2018/04/05/neurons-generation-older-brains/#.WtdPJJch2wU

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Do Older Brains Make New Neurons or Not?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 02:13:14 pm »
Neurons?  :shrug:

Morons?  Definitely.  Pelosi, McCain, McConnell, Sanders, Clinton...  just to name a few.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Victoria33

Re: Do Older Brains Make New Neurons or Not?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 02:34:09 pm »
@rangerrebew

Not using scientific data, but knowing how the body repairs itself:  The rest of our body makes new cells all the time, so why not the brain?  Cell renewal happens when we sleep; the body "resets" itself; repairs itself.  The brain requires sleep to repair itself as the rest of the body does.  Four hours or less of sleep is not enough to do this job.  Who do we know who only sleeps three to four hours every night?  Yes, it is "he" who runs the country.