Author Topic: First Lady Barbara Bush Has Died  (Read 6883 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: First Lady Barbara Bush Has Died
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2018, 02:45:31 pm »
Sharing some random tweets I've read:

That story matches our Secret Service friend’s experience.

She not only knew them by name, but their wives’ and children’s as well, and invited them to lunch at the WH.

Remarkable, gracious woman.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2018, 03:20:44 pm »
@mystery-ak
@Freya
@TomSea
@musiclady
@AllThatJazzZ
@andy58-in-nh
@LauraTXNM
@goodwithagun
@Sanguine
@Polly Ticks
@thackney

True story about Barbara Bush. 

In my Texas county where my husband was the Republican Chairman, we had a close friend who was one of our election judges, and she was the twin to Barbara Bush.  They were not really twins, but you couldn’t tell the difference.  I have a photo of the two standing together, and most people choose our friend, Betty, as the real Barbara Bush.  I haven’t checked on her for several years as she doesn’t “do” computers.  I do not know if she is still alive, will try to find out for my own reason.  Since Barbara is no longer living and Betty is exactly her, people outside that county would think Barbara is not dead as there she is right in front of them.  Likely, some would think it is Barbara’s ghost.

Betty would always wear the pearl necklace as Barbara did.  One time we had a meeting in another town close by where Governor George Bush was appearing.  After his talk, we approached him to speak to him.  Someone said, “There is someone here who wants to speak to you.”  He looked up and said, “That’s my Momma!”, and hugged Betty.

One time Betty was going to Israel.  I was concerned about her safety – the Palestinians would love to capture Barbara Bush.  Betty said she knew that and was going to wear sloppy clothes, no pearls, and wear a headscarf the whole time so people couldn’t see her white hair.

One year we were going to our Republican state convention as we always did.  There was a meeting of our electoral district which was large, hundreds of people, and a large ballroom was set for this meeting.  I was going up the escalator to get there and Betty and others were behind me.  A man I did not know was a number of steps above me and he looked back and said, “There is Barbara Bush!”  He took off as soon as he got to the top of the escalator.  The rest of us were not in a hurry and eventually went into the room together.  As soon as Betty walked in the room, everyone stood up and started clapping.  This man had told the group that Barbara Bush was coming in.  Betty had to tell them she was not Barbara Bush.

Also, Betty told me because she looked so much like Barbara Bush, she conducted herself in public as Barbara would – she said she did not want to embarrass Barbara’s reputation. 

She told me, one time a woman came up to her and started crying.  She told Barbara (our Betty) she also had a child who died from leukemia (Barbara’s daughter died from that).  Betty had to tell her she was not Barbara, and  she tried to console the woman.

Our Betty is a wonderful, kind woman.  Barbara Bush could not have had a better “twin” than Betty.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 03:34:32 pm by Victoria33 »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2018, 03:35:11 pm »
That's a wonderful and amusing story @Victoria33 and I appreciate you sharing.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline verga

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2018, 04:19:24 pm »
My favorite story was when someone mad e comparison between her and Nancy Reagan. She replied they much in Common, Nancy was a size 12 and so was her (Barbra's) leg.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2018, 06:40:19 pm »
My favorite story was when someone mad e comparison between her and Nancy Reagan. She replied they much in Common, Nancy was a size 12 and so was her (Barbra's) leg.

LOL!  ...but there's no way that Nancy Reagan was EVER a size 12. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline verga

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2018, 06:43:16 pm »
LOL!  ...but there's no way that Nancy Reagan was EVER a size 12.
I'm a man I probably have the numbers wrong.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2018, 06:55:40 pm »

:laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2018, 06:56:38 pm »

...and you can change, if you have too.
-Red Green.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2018, 07:10:04 pm »

Nancy was very tiny..I would guess she wore size 2 0r 4
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2018, 10:05:07 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia thanks for the post. I'm glad she didn't die alone.

You're welcome @Freya  ... I was very touched by that brief report from her last day, too.

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2018, 01:39:27 am »
Still watching the coverage here in Houston. Channel 2 is doing an hour-long program. The one film clip I really want to see is when she and Bush 41 were trying to make an ad in support of the Astros and they kept getting tickled. It was so cute they way they were with each other, and I've longed to see that video again. I hope someone finds it in a vault somewhere and plays it to show how much fun they had together. I could use a little levity right now.

I searched for that video but couldn't find it. This one's just as good, but you'll have to endure 17 seconds of Bill Clinton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0dn-rPoJa8

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2018, 08:17:09 pm »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2018, 01:09:22 am »
From today  ... GHWB with daughter Doro.  When one picture is worth a thousand words   :crying:

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2018, 05:25:53 am »
From today  ... GHWB with daughter Doro.  When one picture is worth a thousand words   :crying:

My friend and I missed getting to see them by about 20 minutes.  8888crybaby Even so, we got to pay our respects, so we don't regret a thing. Logistically, the whole thing was flawless (for us). We met some wonderful folks on the buses to and from 2nd Baptist. Most all the women were in blue and sporting pearls. Some of the guys had on Bush 41 socks. The cathedral was gorgeous, as was the little peaceful little courtyard just outside. I'm very glad we went.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2018, 01:32:16 pm »
My friend and I missed getting to see them by about 20 minutes.  8888crybaby Even so, we got to pay our respects, so we don't regret a thing. Logistically, the whole thing was flawless (for us). We met some wonderful folks on the buses to and from 2nd Baptist. Most all the women were in blue and sporting pearls. Some of the guys had on Bush 41 socks. The cathedral was gorgeous, as was the little peaceful little courtyard just outside. I'm very glad we went.

I’m glad you got to go, @AllThatJazzZ .  I’m sure it was a meaningful experience that you won’t ever forget.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2018, 07:25:42 pm »
This thread is dedicated to Barbara Bush and the people here who loved her.

If you want to bash all the Bushes start a new thread somewhere else..just not here..
Support the USO

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2018, 10:24:32 pm »
This thread is dedicated to Barbara Bush and the people here who loved her.

If you want to bash all the Bushes start a new thread somewhere else..just not here..

@mystery-ak I've cleaned up the thread I've best as can. If I've missed anything, I hope you and the rest of your staff will fix it.

Silver Pines

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2018, 11:15:06 pm »

@AllThatJazzZ

I'm sure.

That picture...it's hard to look at it for long.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2018, 11:33:25 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ

I'm sure.

That picture...it's hard to look at it for long.

Indeed.

And now President Bush 41 is hospitalized.......

Silver Pines

« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2018, 06:34:24 pm »
Indeed.

And now President Bush 41 is hospitalized.......

@musiclady

Hoping he recovers.  That family is going through a terrible time right now.