Author Topic: First Lady Barbara Bush Has Died  (Read 6903 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: First Lady Barbara Bush Has Died
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2018, 02:21:41 am »

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 02:23:37 am »

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2018, 02:26:30 am »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2018, 02:41:39 am »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2018, 02:46:18 am »
That's a beautiful, well-lived face.

Compare it to actresses who make themselves ugly as they age with multiple plastic surgeries.

Natural aging combined with good living makes a natural beauty that fakery cannot duplicate.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2018, 03:35:08 am »
Still watching the coverage here in Houston. Channel 2 is doing an hour-long program. The one film clip I really want to see is when she and Bush 41 were trying to make an ad in support of the Astros and they kept getting tickled. It was so cute they way they were with each other, and I've longed to see that video again. I hope someone finds it in a vault somewhere and plays it to show how much fun they had together. I could use a little levity right now.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2018, 03:36:49 am »
My favorite Barbara Bush quip was when she responded to the criticism that she didn’t wear nice clothes....

She said something like.... I wear very good clothes. I just don’t look good in them.  ^-^

@musiclady

Classic Barbara Bush. Gotta love it.

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2018, 03:39:03 am »

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 03:43:00 am by Right_in_Virginia »

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2018, 03:41:17 am »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2018, 03:41:33 am »

Sometimes you wish you had the power to just stop time. Sigh.  :crying:

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2018, 03:45:29 am »
Sometimes you wish you had the power to just stop time. Sigh.  :crying:

I know what you mean.  Sad ... but they had an extraordinary life together.

I hope the family's holding George Sr. real close tonight.

Offline Meldrew

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2018, 03:49:39 am »
Thanks for the pictures @Right_in_Virginia .  With all the gnashing of teeth that goes on these days, it's so nice to be reminded of basic humanity.  Mrs. Bush was good at that.

"'I Am Still Old and Still in Love.'
 - Barbara Bush

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2018, 03:52:04 am »
Thanks for the pictures @Right_in_Virginia .  With all the gnashing of teeth that goes on these days, it's so nice to be reminded of basic humanity.  Mrs. Bush was good at that.

"'I Am Still Old and Still in Love.'
 - Barbara Bush

She lived a remarkable life.  She's earned her rest.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2018, 04:04:15 am »
I know what you mean.  Sad ... but they had an extraordinary life together.

I hope the family's holding George Sr. real close tonight.

I’m sure they are.

It’s what the Bushes do.

How blessed they all have been to have both parents live so long!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2018, 04:22:16 am »
Flags will be flown at half-staff. They were flown at half-staff for Reverend Graham, God Bless Them All.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/national/trump-orders-flags-to-half-staff-for-barbara-bush

United States Flags at Half-Staff in Honor of Barbara Bush Immediately through Sunset Saturday, April 21, 2018
By Matt - Comments(0)

THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Press Secretary

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DEATH OF BARBARA BUSH

– – – – – – –

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

On this solemn day, we mourn the loss of Barbara Bush, an outstanding and memorable woman of character. As a wife, mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, military spouse, and former First Lady, Mrs. Bush was an advocate of the American family. Mrs. Bush lived a life that reminds us always to cherish our relationships with friends, family, and all acquaintances. In the spirit of the memory of Mrs. Bush, may we always remember to be kind to one another and to put the care of others first.

As a mark of respect for the memory of Barbara Bush, I hereby order, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset, on the day of interment. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same period at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this seventeenth day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand eighteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-second.

DONALD J. TRUMP

http://halfstaff.org/

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2018, 10:25:29 am »
If that saying, "Behind every successful man is a woman" is true at all, then Barbara Bush is the epitome, defined.

Very sad, but even in dying, this woman showed us how to do it.  With dignity and class.

...just surprised it happened so quickly.  She must have needed a portable oxygen tank all the time.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2018, 10:41:06 am »
I just saw an interesting piece of trivia. Mrs. Bush was only the second woman to be the wife of a president and the mother to another.

Neat, huh?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 10:41:45 am by Freya »

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2018, 11:01:30 am »
The Latest: Funeral arrangements set for Barbara Bush
Washington Post, Apr 17, 2018, Associated Press

HOUSTON — The Latest on the death of former first lady Barbara Bush (all times local):

10:10 p.m.

Funeral services for Barbara Bush are planned for 11 a.m. Saturday at St. Martin’s Episcopal Church in Houston, which she and former President George H.W. Bush regularly attended.

According to a post on the George Bush Presidential Library Foundation website, Barbara Bush will lie in repose from noon to midnight Friday at the church for members of the public wishing to pay respects.

The funeral service Saturday is by invitation only.

Burial will be on the grounds of the Bush library at Texas A&M University in College Station, about 100 miles (161 kilometers) northwest of Houston. The couple’s 3-year-old daughter, Robin, who died in 1953 of leukemia, also is buried at the site.

___

10 p.m.

President Donald Trump is ordering U.S. flags to be flown at half-staff in honor of former first lady Barbara Bush, who died Tuesday at the age of 92.

In a proclamation issued Tuesday night, Trump says Americans mourn the loss of “an outstanding and memorable woman of character.” He calls Mrs. Bush “an advocate of the American family” who “lived a life that reminds us always to cherish our relationships with friends, family, and all acquaintances.”

The proclamation calls for flags to remain lowered until sunset on the day of her burial.

___

9:35 p.m.

A spokeswoman says former President George H.W. Bush held the hand of his wife, Barbara Bush, all day and was by her side when she died.

Jean Becker, the chief of staff at Bush’s office in Houston, said in a statement released by Bush family spokesman Jim McGrath that the 41st president “is broken-hearted to lose his beloved Barbara.”

The former first lady died Tuesday in Houston. She was 92.

Becker says it’s a “very challenging time” for the 93-year-old Bush, but “he also is stoic and strong, and is being lifted up by his large and supportive family.”

More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/the-latest-son-says-barbara-bush-a-woman-unlike-any-other/2018/04/17/1d43e6d2-42a0-11e8-b2dc-b0a403e4720a_story.html?noredirect=on

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2018, 11:11:56 am »
@Right_in_Virginia thanks for the post. I'm glad she didn't die alone.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2018, 11:46:11 am »
I just saw an interesting piece of trivia. Mrs. Bush was only the second woman to be the wife of a president and the mother to another.

Neat, huh?

That is neat.. It was Abigail Adams who was the first. However, Abigail didn't see her son John Quincy Adams become President.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2018, 12:18:27 pm »
Sharing some random tweets I've read:
Jason Beale  @jabeale

A friend of mine who was in the Secret Service told me this story about Barbara Bush, God rest her soul. He said he used to stand post in the Rose Garden (I think - it's been awhile) and Barbara would usually walk out in the morning to get some fresh air.

She would usually greet him by name and they occasionally chatted, but she usually just went on her walk. One morning she walked out, said "Hello", then said something else that my friend couldn't hear clearly due to either sprinklers or a water-feature making noise.

So he just nodded his head and said, "Yes, Ma'am" thinking she was commenting on the beautiful morning, as she often did. She wasn't. She stopped, turned back, and said, "Really? That bad?" My friend then noticed that Mrs. Bush's eyes appeared bruised and swollen.

Mrs. Bush had undergone a radiation procedure on her eyes, apparently related to Grave's disease, the day before. My friend said, "I'm sorry, Mrs. Bush, I really didn't hear what you said to me." She laughed and said, "I asked you if I look as horrible as I feel."

My friend said he felt horrible and apologized profusely, but that Mrs. Bush just stood there laughing, then told him not to worry about it - "We both know your first answer was right."
Replying to @jabeale @jaketapper

My husband worked on Marine One with the Bush Sr admin. When they were at
at Camp David, specially during winter, she would personally bring them cookies and hot chocolate. 😊
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline thackney

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2018, 12:21:31 pm »
God Bless this nation with the passing of America's Grandma.

She lived with grace, dignity and humor.  She lifted up and expected a lot from all around her.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2018, 01:42:13 pm »

Bill Clinton
‏Verified account @BillClinton
14h14 hours ago

Barbara Bush was a remarkable woman. She had grit & grace, brains & beauty. She was fierce & feisty in support of her family & friends, her country & her causes. She showed us what an honest, vibrant, full life looks like. Hillary and I mourn her passing and bless her memory.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2018, 02:15:42 pm »
Melania Trump will attend Barbara Bush's funeral
CNN, Apr 18, 2018

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/18/politics/barbara-bush-funeral-melania-donald-trump/index.html