Author Topic: Why so many college students are coming down with the mumps  (Read 629 times)

rangerrebew

Why so many college students are coming down with the mumps

By Roni DenglerMar. 21, 2018 , 4:15 PM

Mumps, once a ubiquitous childhood disease, was nearly eliminated in the United States after a vaccine came out in 1967. (It was folded into the three-part measles, mumps, rubella [MMR] vaccine in 1971.) But the disease is making a comeback, this time in young adults; there have been hundreds of outbreaks across U.S. college campuses since the early 2000s. Now, a new study reveals why: Protection from the mumps vaccine fades over time. A booster shot around age 18 could solve the problem, the researchers say.

Spread through coughing, sneezing, or kissing, mumps causes an uncomfortable swelling of the salivary glands, leading to a swollen neck, fever, and headaches in young children; in adults, the virus can cause painfully swollen testicles, meningitis, and even permanent hearing loss.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/03/why-so-many-college-students-are-coming-down-mumps

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Why so many college students are coming down with the mumps
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 05:54:33 pm »
Jenny McCarthy, Robert Kennedy Jr. and their internet troll ilk going after vaccinations are in large part to blame.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 06:26:05 pm »
Jenny McCarthy, Robert Kennedy Jr. and their internet troll ilk going after vaccinations are in large part to blame.

I am a big fan of some vaccines, but not all of them. 

By the way, the CDC's Harvard PhD virologist who supposedly tried to warn the public not to get this season's flu vaccine and then disappeared for several weeks was found dead in the Chattahoochee River.  No sign of foul play;  evidently drowned.  (The question remains:  Why did he disappear in the first place?  Why did he call no one, not even his family, when he took off?)

Just sayin'.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 06:44:41 pm »

Several kids (not siblings) in our autism support group were perfectly normal, healthy babies until the evening after a set of shots. ER to children’s hospital that night, autism diagnosis several months after their conditions stabled and they were no longer critical. Their pediatricians no longer critcize those who choose not to vax.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 08:01:26 pm »
Now, a new study reveals why: Protection from the mumps vaccine fades over time.

In the early 1980 my doctor recommended delaying getting the mumps vaccine as long as possible for my son.  If possible he believed it was better to have the mumps at a young age, especially for a male, than risk getting it as an adult.  He believed that this particular vaccine might "wear off".  We delayed this vaccine until he had to enter Kindergarten.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 08:45:02 pm »
I'll go with 'What are Undocumented Aliens and DACA students' for $500 Alex.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 08:54:17 pm »
If we want to speed up our decline to a 3rd world shithole...stop vaxing every newborn.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 12:19:29 am »
Merck is under investigation for fudging their efficacy numbers.  They're the exclusive manufacturer of the MMR vaccine, and were to remain the exclusive manufacturer for the MMR vaccine as long as they could maintain an efficacy rate of 95%.  I can't think of any reason why they would fudge their efficacy numbers, can you?

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 12:28:03 am »
Merck is under investigation for fudging their efficacy numbers.  They're the exclusive manufacturer of the MMR vaccine, and were to remain the exclusive manufacturer for the MMR vaccine as long as they could maintain an efficacy rate of 95%.  I can't think of any reason why they would fudge their efficacy numbers, can you?

I have a major problem with the crony capitalism that exists between vax (or any drug) companies and Congress.
I stand with Roosgirl.