Author Topic: Sleep deprivation increases brain protein linked to Alzheimer's disease  (Read 944 times)

rangerrebew

Sleep deprivation increases brain protein linked to Alzheimer's disease

April 13, 2018

Losing just one night of sleep led to an immediate increase in beta-amyloid, a protein in the brain associated with Alzheimer's disease, according to a small, new study by researchers at the National Institutes of Health. In Alzheimer's disease, beta-amyloid proteins clump together to form amyloid plaques, a hallmark of the disease.

While acute sleep deprivation is known to elevate brain beta-amyloid levels in mice, less is known about the impact of sleep deprivation on beta-amyloid accumulation in the human brain. The study is among the first to demonstrate that sleep may play an important role in human beta-amyloid clearance.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20180413/Sleep-deprivation-increases-brain-protein-linked-to-Alzheimers-disease.aspx

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
I find myself getting TOO MUCH sleep!
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Bookmark  book 📖
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online mountaineer

I read about this several months ago. I've since been trying desperately to get enough sleep, considering my father had early-onset dementia of the Lewy body type.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Polly Ticks

I have five children.   This is REALLY bad news.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline thackney

I read about this several months ago. I've since been trying desperately to get enough sleep, considering my father had early-onset dementia of the Lewy body type.

Staying awake at night worrying about not getting enough sleep?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline goodwithagun

How much of this has to do with lifestyle? My mom, very sedentary, constantly complains about insomnia. She takes her phone everywhere, usually in her pocket. She didn’t know it tracked steps until I pointed it out to her. After a brief perusal I discovered she gets in about 1000 steps a day. No flames- I know there are those who take excellent care of themselves yet still have sleep problems. I’m just inquiring if there’s more to this.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Polly Ticks

On the other hand, Benjamin Franklin was reported to sleep for only 4 hours per night, and he seemed to do ok. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline mirraflake

Genetics mostly.

My elderly aunt and her husband were health freaks even way back in the 60's and she got alzheimers.

A friends dad stared to get alzheimers in his late 50's and died from it age 66 and my friend who is now 59 is showing  begining signs of it and he has done everything he can-eat right, excercise, crossword puzzles-for years now.

Do a 23 and me genetic test to see if you have the varient for alzheimers gene. My wife and I don't nor parkinsons.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 09:48:35 pm by mirraflake »

Online mountaineer

Staying awake at night worrying about not getting enough sleep?
Pretty much!  :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goodwithagun

Re: Sleep deprivation increases brain protein linked to Alzheimer's disease
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 12:06:08 am »
On the other hand, Benjamin Franklin was reported to sleep for only 4 hours per night, and he seemed to do ok.

I wonder if the decades of (the now debunked) low fat diet have an effect. I remember when my mom switched from whole to skim, and swapped out our Oreos for Snackwells. Ugh, and the yellow plastic squares somehow legally named low fat cheese singles  **nononono*
I stand with Roosgirl.