Author Topic: Most of Texas border community supports fence expansion: 'something secure for us'  (Read 1123 times)

rangerrebew

Most of Texas border community supports fence expansion: 'something secure for us'

By Ray Bogan

Published April 10, 2018
FoxNews.com

EL PASO, Texas –  President Donald Trump’s wall is officially on its way.

The U.S. Border Patrol’s El Paso, Texas, sector announced Monday that 20 miles of 18-foot fence would be built along the border in New Mexico over the next year. This is in addition to two miles in Calexico, Calif., and 14 miles in San Diego.

But as politicians, lobbyists, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) and just about anyone with an opinion argues about whether the wall is good or bad, Fox News found that people who live with it every day are mainly supportive.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/10/most-texas-border-community-supports-fence-expansion-something-secure-for-us.html

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
These folks ought to know.
The Trump administration should respond by beginning construction there first.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Wall of contention

Most Texans along the border don’t want Trump’s wall, and many doubt it will be built

Many Texans who live along the U.S.-Mexico border support President Donald Trump, but their affection for the New York real estate mogul-turned-politician comes with a caveat:

They do not want a wall.

The Star-Telegram recently visited a 325-mile stretch of the Lone Star State’s boundary with Mexico to gauge attitudes toward the proposed wall. The trip included stops in Presidio, Big Bend National Park, Del Rio and Eagle Pass in late April, and visits with a farmer, a rancher, a wildlife biologist, a sheriff and people from many other walks of life.

The reasons for their opposition to the wall are as varied as the communities that sit along the Rio Grande. Some are concerned about losing private land to make room for the structure. Others warned that building a continuous wall could cause massive flooding. Still others spoke against the potential impact on wildlife, and the state’s natural landscape.

And many border residents said they had serious doubts that such a wall would succeed in reducing illegal immigration or drug smuggling — the primary justifications often cited by supporters.

“Trump has done some good things with immigration, but he’s 100 percent wrong about the wall,” said Dob Cunningham, 83, a lifelong rancher and retired Border Patrol agent who owns hundreds of acres abutting the border in Quemado, north of Eagle Pass. “I haven’t found anybody — and I know people from Nogales [Arizona] to Brownsville — who wants that wall.”

More and 4 more linked parts:http://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article152402734.html

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
I have never seen an answer to what can be done where the river is the border.  And @Elderberry, thanks for bringing up the lake! 
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I have never seen an answer to what can be done where the river is the border.  And @Elderberry, thanks for bringing up the lake!

Put the fence on land.  Patrol the waterways more than we do now.  If drug runners and gangsters knew they would face difficulty entering through a fence on land, they would be much less likely to create problems in the water.

Offline LauraTXNM

Put the fence on land.  Patrol the waterways more than we do now.  If drug runners and gangsters knew they would face difficulty entering through a fence on land, they would be much less likely to create problems in the water.

@Sanguine Yes; I just have seen lots of crazy notions of putting the fence in the middle of the Rio Grande!
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine Yes; I just have seen lots of crazy notions of putting the fence in the middle of the Rio Grande!

No, that wouldn't work.  It's a big river in places and a muddy creek in others.  Until it floods. 

Offline LauraTXNM

No, that wouldn't work.  It's a big river in places and a muddy creek in others.  Until it floods.

Yep.  Off topic, but I remember driving to school in El Paso and watching people use inner tubes to cross the river each day for work.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I used to go to the "96 Ranch" about 40 miles south of Van Horn. Where we would drive across the river, an uncontrolled crossing, it was completely dry and rocky.

We looked at every mile of the U.S.-Mexico border. Now you can, too – right here.

https://www.usatoday.com/border-wall/us-mexico-interactive-border-map/

Offline LauraTXNM

I used to go to the "96 Ranch" about 40 miles south of Van Horn. Where we would drive across the river, an uncontrolled crossing, it was completely dry and rocky.

We looked at every mile of the U.S.-Mexico border. Now you can, too – right here.

https://www.usatoday.com/border-wall/us-mexico-interactive-border-map/

@Elderberry  Those are great images.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I know this doesn't apply to this post, but it is on topic. What a different world and USA we lived in back in 1959!

Sea Hunt

Chained
SEASON 2, EPISODE 34
5:00 AM ON KTLADT3 5.3 • TV-G • CC
Mike helps Immigration authorities blow open an alien-smuggling ring.