Author Topic: What to do with lemon rinds  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
What to do with lemon rinds
« on: March 25, 2018, 10:07:11 pm »
After you have used almost all of your lemon rind for zesting and the lemon for juicing, someone came along and posted what to do with all of that stuff left over.  Pretty simple.  I have not tried it yet, but it just sounds too easy.

Just put all of those leftover lemons, all of them including that white stuff, into a bowl that is not metal.  Add about two cups of sugar to about 20 dead lemons.  Leave them alone for about four hours so they can do their magic.

That sugar will pull out ever last drop of lemon juice.  I read that you put it through a ricer -- I have one, but never used it -- then you will get sweet lemon "sauce."  Put it in a long neck container so you can pour it on whatever needs a little sweet lemon.

I also read that 16 ounces of sugar will give you 16 ounces of sweet lemon water.  Science!

Thought you might like this in here.

Hi! @roamer_1
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: What to do with lemon rinds
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 10:19:18 pm »
That is a trick question: What to do with lemon rinds?  Everyone knows you use them to Infuse a crap load of Vodka!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 11:55:02 pm by Wingnut »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 10:21:55 pm »

I also read that 16 ounces of sugar will give you 16 ounces of sweet lemon water.  Science!

Thought you might like this in here.

Hi! @roamer_1

Oh, yeah, I like it @Slip18 ... But the soon-to-be-mrs-roamer_1 is diabetic... :(

I don't know what she does instead, because my life is full of sweet things, even confections, but she swears there is very little sugar involved.  :shrug:

Even my beloved sweet tea - my own main sugar infusion, no doubt... She drinks it too, and makes a cinnamon-peach thing, rather than my normal Lipton's and sugar mix... And it's metric butt-tons better than mine... but without any sugar. Fantastic.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 11:33:39 pm »
Oh, yeah, I like it @Slip18 ... But the soon-to-be-mrs-roamer_1 is diabetic... :(

I don't know what she does instead, because my life is full of sweet things, even confections, but she swears there is very little sugar involved.  :shrug:

Even my beloved sweet tea - my own main sugar infusion, no doubt... She drinks it too, and makes a cinnamon-peach thing, rather than my normal Lipton's and sugar mix... And it's metric butt-tons better than mine... but without any sugar. Fantastic.

We are a lot alike!  I drink Lipton peach tea every single day.  Can't go without it.

This recipe, I think, is for sweetening nuts in the oven, stuff like that.  I thought it interesting scientifically what sugar can do.  I have seen sugar in action with peaches and strawberries, but lemons?

Diabetes can be a bummer, but it sounds like your friend has made a moe hill out of a mountain.  So good for her, and probably you, too.

I don't think I can give up my nightly chocolate...

8888crybaby

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 11:40:27 pm »
That is a trick question: What to do with lemon rinds?  Everyone knows you use them to Infuse a shitload of Vodka!

Sounds so much better!  I think I would call it a "crap ton."  @Cyber Liberty just said that!

I guess you could do the same thing with orange rinds, add some brandy, and you have yourself some Grand Marnier...

I was not thinking of booze, buddy!

LOL!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 11:41:39 pm by Slip18 »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 11:45:57 pm »

I don't think I can give up my nightly chocolate...

8888crybaby

Nah... Not with Mindy around... She'd figger out a way to jack it up and make it 10x better without the sugar. She makes me a mocha nearly every morning, from scratch, and sugar free... and better than any I have ever had.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 11:50:15 pm »
Now I am going on booze, once a year at Christmas or New Year's.  I use the leftover boozo for cooking.  Cook the alcohol right out of it.

My problem is I have not been able to find the one booze I love, and that is B&B, Benedictine and Brandy.  You cannot make it yourself because of the 27 herbs and spices, and only one monk has the ingredients.

Has anyone seen it anywhere?  It was stolen from the universe.  Perhaps the one monk met his maker in a freak accident, and did not share his recipe.

My imagination, again...

8888crybaby

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 11:55:51 pm »
Nah... Not with Mindy around... She'd figger out a way to jack it up and make it 10x better without the sugar. She makes me a mocha nearly every morning, from scratch, and sugar free... and better than any I have ever had.

You cannot keep Mindy all to yourself, Roamer.  Just not fair!  We need, positively need, her recipies.

Hi, Mindy!  I am the crazy wife of @Cyber Liberty...

888high58888

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 12:14:31 am »
My problem is I have not been able to find the one booze I love, and that is B&B, Benedictine and Brandy.  You cannot make it yourself because of the 27 herbs and spices, and only one monk has the ingredients.

Sounds like dunking a KFC chicken leg in it is part of the process...
 :silly:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 12:14:54 am by roamer_1 »