Author Topic: Mattis halted two opportunities to strike Syria this week: report  (Read 544 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Mattis halted two opportunities to strike Syria this week: report
By Rebecca Kheel - 04/13/18 05:28 PM EDT

Defense Secretary James Mattis twice halted opportunities this week to strike Syria in response to an apparent chemical weapons attack blamed on the Syrian regime, the Wall Street Journal reported Friday.

Citing unnamed U.S. and defense officials, the Journal said the military had scheduled two potential windows for the strikes, including one Thursday night.

Mattis canceled them, though, because of concerns that anything other than a “show strike” risked broader escalation, particularly with the Russians, according to the report.

more
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/383107-mattis-halted-two-opportunities-to-strike-syria-this-week-report
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Mattis halted two opportunities to strike Syria this week: report
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 09:52:24 pm »
I read from a source I'm inclined to trust, that there is little/no proof that Syria did the gas attack.

In view of that, I see little harm in waiting to get better facts. It appears to be what has already taken place.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DB

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 09:58:03 pm »
Maybe if someone kept his tweet-hole shut there wouldn't have to be so many top staff mop up operations.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 10:31:19 pm »
In fact, sending mixed messages and seeming chaotic in confronting an adversary adds a edge of unpredictability to the aggressor with the military advantage. It raises the level of tension in the weakest opponent.

As I recall Nixon did the same with north Vietnam, issuing statements of impending bombing only to reverse himself, deliberately, a few days later. It rattles the enemy’s cage.

Online DB

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 11:10:28 pm »
In fact, sending mixed messages and seeming chaotic in confronting an adversary adds a edge of unpredictability to the aggressor with the military advantage. It raises the level of tension in the weakest opponent.

As I recall Nixon did the same with north Vietnam, issuing statements of impending bombing only to reverse himself, deliberately, a few days later. It rattles the enemy’s cage.

Chaos is the new genius... Who knew...

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 11:27:09 pm »
I read from a source I'm inclined to trust, that there is little/no proof that Syria did the gas attack.

In view of that, I see little harm in waiting to get better facts. It appears to be what has already taken place.

I read that and was leaning in that direction too, but today the Russians blamed the English for the attack, so it was clearly the Syrians.