Author Topic: Trade war backfire: Steel tariff shrapnel hits U.S. farmers  (Read 1264 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Trade war backfire: Steel tariff shrapnel hits U.S. farmers
« on: April 13, 2018, 06:19:50 pm »
Lucas Strom, who runs a century-old family farm in rural Illinois, canceled an order to buy a new $71,000 grain storage bin last month - after the seller raised the price 5 percent in a day. The reason: steel prices jumped right after U.S. President Donald Trump announced tariffs.
Throughout U.S. farm country, where Trump has enjoyed strong support, tariffs on steel and aluminum imports are boosting costs for equipment and infrastructure and causing some farmers and agricultural firms to scrap purchases and expansion plans, according to Reuters’ interviews with farmers, manufacturers, construction firms and food shippers. ....

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-steel-agriculture/trade-war-backfire-steel-tariff-shrapnel-hits-u-s-farmers-idUSKBN1HK0GV

Offline DB

Re: Trade war backfire: Steel tariff shrapnel hits U.S. farmers
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 06:23:03 pm »
We were assured that this little bump in the cost of things was nothing... All these little nothings that make us poorer by the day...

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 06:23:54 pm »
We were assured that this little bump in the cost of things was nothing... All these little nothings that make us poorer by the day...

I can't think of a time in recent history that government interventionism didn't hurt in the long run.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 05:45:48 pm »
But...But...But..these tariffs are going to bring back JOBS!

*****rollingeyes*****

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 09:43:10 pm »
Why just farmers mentioned in this? Any industry that uses steel is similarly impacted, whether cars, pipelines or windturbines.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 09:51:04 pm »

I love you guys who suckle on the policies of Clintoon/Bush/Obama that put us in this terrible position with these Communist enemies. Let's just keep going with the same old same oldwithout doing anything so that this trade problem gets really effed up, right?

BTW this whiny farmer can stuff it up his fat lazy subsidized ass. Steel prices were through the roof in December before any of this tariff chatter got started. Right now, even with the 5% bump, it is as cheap as hit has been in a while.....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 10:18:41 am »
Hey, if I order something at one price, and after doing so, someone jacks the pride, I'm done doing business with them, too. A deal is a deal.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis