Author Topic: Tesla Stops Cooperating With NTSB Probe Into Fatal Crash  (Read 959 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

Tesla Stops Cooperating With NTSB Probe Into Fatal Crash
« on: April 12, 2018, 04:50:40 pm »
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-04-12/tesla-ceases-cooperating-ntsb-probe-fatal-crash

Tesla has repeatedly infuriated investigators at the National Transportation Safety Board by announcing its Autopilot software was not to blame for a deadly and gruesome crash in Mountain View last month - despite the official probe not being over yet - and the government agency has finally had enough... as has Tesla: on Thursday, Tesla said it would withdraw from the NTSB's investigation and cease cooperating with investigators.

Bloomberg described this as "an unusual move" because, typically, when your company has nothing to hide, there's little reason to, well, cease cooperating with investigators: we can only imagine Elon Musk would have fired Mueller long ago if he were president. Still, though it won't have a formal role in the probe, Tesla will still provide "assistance" to the NTSB.

In justifying its decision, Tesla made an unusual argument: That it would withdraw from the probe in the interest of transparency because the NTSB has repeatedly stopped it from releasing information about autopilot, something that Tesla says violates its "commitment" to transparency.

"Tesla withdrew from the party agreement with the NTSB because it requires that we not release information about Autopilot to the public, a requirement which we believe fundamentally affects public safety negatively," the company said in an emailed statement. "We believe in transparency, so an agreement that prevents public release of information for over a year is unacceptable."

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Tesla Stops Cooperating With NTSB Probe Into Fatal Crash
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 04:51:24 pm »
I'd be surprised if Tesla makes it through the year.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 05:18:04 pm »
I'd be surprised if Tesla makes it through the year.

Aye.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 09:25:33 pm »
The feds booted Saint Elons band of grifters.  This is just Tesla trying to do damage control.  The T now stands for Titanic.   

"The NTSB said it "revoked" Tesla's status as a party to its investigation of a fatal crash involving a Model X with Autopilot engaged.
    The NTSB said that Tesla had "violated the party agreement by releasing investigative information before it was vetted and confirmed by the NTSB."
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."