Author Topic: Waste Heat Can Be Converted Into Electricity  (Read 1765 times)

rangerrebew

Waste Heat Can Be Converted Into Electricity
« on: April 10, 2018, 01:51:00 pm »

Waste Heat Can Be Converted Into Electricity
April 10, 2018

Mechanical engineers at the University of California, Riverside, have reported success in using inexpensive materials to produce thermoelectric devices that transform low-level waste heat into electricity.

Their advance could enable a wide variety of commercial applications. For example, integrating thermoelectric generating devices into computer chips could enable the heat they produce to provide a power source. Waste heat from automobile engines could run a car’s electronics and provide cooling. Photovoltaic solar cells could be made more efficient by harnessing the heat from sunlight striking them to generate more electricity.

https://scienceblog.com/500248/waste-heat-can-be-converted-into-electricity/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+scienceblogrssfeed+%28ScienceBlog.com%29

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Waste Heat Can Be Converted Into Electricity
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 08:55:40 pm »
Always beware of engineering studies from California universities.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 08:59:10 pm »
Always beware of engineering studies from California universities.

The article is lacking in mentioning of dollars, costs, etc.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 09:05:12 pm »
I can't see the numbers being good enough to be worth the investment.
The Republic is lost.

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 09:07:03 pm »
I can't see the numbers being good enough to be worth the investment.

The first part is the reason for the second part of your statement.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 03:28:08 am »
Another perpetual motion machine. Computer generates heat which generates power which runs the computer....sounds like one of those 'fur farm' scams....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 12:26:24 pm »
Another perpetual motion machine. Computer generates heat which generates power which runs the computer....sounds like one of those 'fur farm' scams....

I don't see it claimed as being efficient, let alone 100% efficient.  The technology isn't new, we have used it for decades.  They are just claiming it to be capable of being done without rare materials.

This is a thermocouple, scaled up.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 12:37:11 pm »
I don't see it claimed as being efficient, let alone 100% efficient.  The technology isn't new, we have used it for decades.  They are just claiming it to be capable of being done without rare materials.

This is a thermocouple, scaled up.
I'm kidding, sorta, but really admonishing the attentive to beware more pie in the sky.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 01:01:07 pm »
I'm kidding, sorta, but really admonishing the attentive to beware more pie in the sky.
and that is why I warned about those studies from CA schools, where huge amounts are paid by CA officials looking the the proverbial golden goose of endless energy supply....
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 01:03:27 pm »
and that is why I warned about those studies from CA schools, where huge amounts are paid by CA officials looking the the proverbial golden goose of endless energy supply....
...even though you might actually get more energy burning the subsidy money (small bills, please) than from the project.

C S Lewis

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 01:21:12 pm »
The article is lacking in mentioning of dollars, costs, etc.

Yep. When it is not economical, costs are never mentioned.