Author Topic: Almost two-thirds of Americans support tariffs on China: Poll  (Read 1334 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Almost two-thirds of Americans support tariffs on China: Poll

by Sean Higgins | April 09, 2018 01:26 PM

The Trump administration's move to slap stiff tariffs on Chinese goods is supported by about two-thirds of Americans despite strong partisan differences on the issue.

But while they supported the gesture of standing up to China, they were less confident that it would work.

Overall, 62 percent of Americans agree with the sentiment that the tariffs are worth the risk to get better trade deals, according to a new poll by Luntz Global Partners. That includes 88 percent of Republicans but only 34 percent of Democrats.

"We’re seeing the very same coalition that got the president elected in 2016 lend their support to Trump’s tariffs,” said Alyssa Salvo, president of the polling company.

"Voters don’t buy the ‘fear-factor’ that jobs are at-risk, instead agreeing that Trump’s tariffs are both ‘necessary,’ and in the words of Senator Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, ‘long overdue,'" she said.

Nevertheless, 56 percent of The Trump administration's move to slap stiff tariffs on Chinese goods is supported by about two-thirds of Americans despite strong partisan differences on the issue.

But while they supported the gesture of standing up to China, they were less confident that it would work.

Overall, 62 percent of Americans agree with the sentiment that the tariffs are worth the risk to get better trade deals, according to a new poll by Luntz Global Partners. That includes 88 percent of Republicans but only 34 percent of Democrats.

snip

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/almost-two-thirds-of-americans-support-tariffs-on-china-poll
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DB

Re: Almost two-thirds of Americans support tariffs on China: Poll
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:26:02 pm »
Many of the same people support increased taxes on corporations...

All they do is vote to increase the cost of the things they buy - and then wonder why things cost more and blame someone else...

If the same two-thirds really wanted to reduce their dependence on Chinese goods, they'd stop buying them instead of voting for the government to restrain them from doing so...

When the majority of citizens have to ask government to save them from themselves the possibility of a free people is lost.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 08:32:16 pm »
Many of the same people support increased taxes on corporations...

All they do is vote to increase the cost of the things they buy - and then wonder why things cost more and blame someone else...

If the same two-thirds really wanted to reduce their dependence on Chinese goods, they'd stop buying them instead of voting for the government to restrain them from doing so...

When the majority of citizens have to ask government to save them from themselves the possibility of a free people is lost.

Bingo.

We are at the point where even many, if not most, on even the right (which used to believe in small government) now demand a big government to centrally plan everything. They are now cheering tariff actions that dwarf what even Woodrow Wilson did.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 12:15:13 pm »
The average persons understanding of economics is sloppy at best.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 12:22:06 pm »
The average persons understanding of economics is sloppy at best.

The average economists understanding of economics is sloppy at best. Ever hear of Paul Krugman?

BTW so far we have cut better deals with South Korea and the Chinamen just said they were going to change their insane policies on imported cars after Trumps Tariffs. Tells me they are not a bad thing if they are used correctly.....

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,311477.msg1654402.html#msg1654402

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 12:30:54 pm »
The average economists understanding of economics is sloppy at best. Ever hear of Paul Krugman?

BTW so far we have cut better deals with South Korea and the Chinamen just said they were going to change their insane policies on imported cars after Trumps Tariffs. Tells me they are not a bad thing if they are used correctly.....

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,311477.msg1654402.html#msg1654402

Paul Krugman, the Nobel Prize idiot. Which only goes to prove everything a liberal touches turns to crap.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 03:00:16 pm »
Paul Krugman, the Nobel Prize idiot. Which only goes to prove everything a liberal touches turns to crap.

Yep, Krugman is a central planning promoting leftist and anything economically should be considered the worst advice....

..which is why it is really ironic that Trump is doing now what he suggested a few years ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/15/opinion/15krugman.html

The only difference in why Krugman disagrees now is the politics of Trump- but on a pure economic perspective, removing the political game, Trump is following Krugman's suggestions.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 03:22:07 pm »
Yep, Krugman is a central planning promoting leftist and anything economically should be considered the worst advice....

..which is why it is really ironic that Trump is doing now what he suggested a few years ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/15/opinion/15krugman.html

The only difference in why Krugman disagrees now is the politics of Trump- but on a pure economic perspective, removing the political game, Trump is following Krugman's suggestions.

Steven Moore and Larry Kudlow are the architects of President Trump’s economic policies. I guess Krugman is in agreement with them. Donald Trump studied economics in college, but it would be presumptuous to believe economic policy was formulated by Donald Trump, even though the buck stops on his desk.