Author Topic: Our fair weathered Saudi friend - Opinion, Caroline Glick  (Read 680 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Our fair weathered Saudi friend - Opinion, Caroline Glick
« on: April 09, 2018, 03:07:42 am »

Our fair weathered Saudi friend
For now, we have a Saudi ally in the young crown prince. So long as no one in Israel loses his head, and no one in Saudi Arabia exploits the alliance to chop off Muhammad’s head.
By Caroline B. Glick
April 4, 2018 20:05

Have we entered a new period of sweetness and light with our Arab neighbors? On Monday The Atlantic published an interview the magazine’s editor Jeffrey Goldberg conducted with Saudi Crown Prince Muhammad bin Salman.

Hours after its publication, the responses began pouring in.

The basic line, repeated by all major newspapers, is that the Saudi crown prince recognized Israel’s right to exist. Anti-Defamation League CEO Jonathan Greenblatt gushed about it on his Twitter feed.

Read more at: http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Our-fair-weathered-Saudi-friend-547933

Then, in a few paragraphs down, she mentions that Muslim concept of "taqiyah" (you can fool people if it is for the greater good of Islam is the way I see it), could the Prince be pulling the wool over our eyes? I think Glick is usually wrong in my view, if I remember her point of view; but it's still worth considering.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 03:08:24 am by TomSea »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Our fair weathered Saudi friend - Opinion, Caroline Glick
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 03:30:35 am »
Then, in a few paragraphs down, she mentions that Muslim concept of "taqiyah" (you can fool people if it is for the greater good of Islam is the way I see it), could the Prince be pulling the wool over our eyes? I think Glick is usually wrong in my view, if I remember her point of view; but it's still worth considering.

Flat out tell the Saudi dude, we will "trust but verify." And then do so.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 04:17:59 am »
Flat out tell the Saudi dude, we will "trust but verify." And then do so.

@truth_seeker  That makes sense to me.  I think a Saudi-Israeli rapprochement could be really positive.  I'm just not sure how they could possibly deal with the Wahhabi backlash.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 04:26:30 am »
@truth_seeker  That makes sense to me.  I think a Saudi-Israeli rapprochement could be really positive.  I'm just not sure how they could possibly deal with the Wahhabi backlash.

You never know with muslims.  I learned their word taqqiya in 1979. They respond to strength.

Iran released our hostages the very day Reagan was inaugurated.

OTOH they laugh behind their backs, at weak appeasers like Carter and Obama. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 05:09:13 am »
You never know with muslims.  I learned their word taqqiya in 1979. They respond to strength.

Iran released our hostages the very day Reagan was inaugurated.

OTOH they laugh behind their backs, at weak appeasers like Carter and Obama.

@truth_seeker  You inspired me ;) to do some rereading about the hostage negotiations during the run up to the 1980 election.  I was a kid at the time, but I never realized the Iranians were negotiating with both the Carter and Reagan camps!  I also can't even imagine a time when Israel would have wanted to sell weapons to Iran -- wow, have times changed! 
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 12:56:15 am »
truth_seeker wrote:
"Flat out tell the Saudi dude, we will "trust but verify." And then do so."

No.
Never trust a muslim.
If you do, you will eventually pay a price for having done so.