Author Topic: Molly Ringwald Explains Why She’s ‘Troubled’ by ‘The Breakfast Club’ Three Decades Later  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Zack Sharf
IndieWire
April 6, 2018

Molly Ringwald rose to prominence as John Hughes’ muse in the hit films “Sixteen Candles,” “Pretty in Pink,” and “The Breakfast Club,” but her most beloved movies are troubling her in hindsight. In a new essay for The New Yorker, Ringwald salutes and critiques her collaborations with Hughes, finding certain scenes in the director’s films to be misogynistic and homophobic. The actress makes it clear she loves Hughes and is proud of their work together, but that doesn’t mean their films should not be analyzed under a contemporary context.

While Ringwald was showing her daughter “The Breakfast Club” for the first time, the moment in which Judd Nelson’s Bender peeks up her character’s skirt stood out and made Ringwald uncomfortable. The actress writes that she “kept thinking about the scene” long after the viewing ended, and it wasn’t the first time she was forced to come to terms about its meaning.

More

Offline skeeter

Tedious.

This kid flick was attempting to get teens to see each other as unique individuals of value instead of prejudging each other as members of a group. It seems the late Mr Hughes deserves a bit more credit for trying, even if 30 years on the message was lost on this dingbat.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Yes -- because portraying a 17-18 year old boy as wanting to look up a girl's skirt is so...passe.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Yeesh, Ringwald and the leftist gaggle are starting to sound more and more like fundamentalist Muslims. Put on your hijab already Molly and keep a strict distance from non-relative males why don't you already?
The Republic is lost.

Offline goatprairie

Yes -- because portraying a 17-18 year old boy as wanting to look up a girl's skirt is so...passe.
The conceit of deranged  feminists is that if not taught to do things like that,  teenage boys would never look at a girl in a sexual way. They do stuff like that only because The Dreaded Patriarchy tells them it's the masculine thing to do. Totally delirious.

Offline dfwgator

She gladly cashed those checks from it.

Offline jpsb

Offline Frank Cannon

Just went through her IMDB. After Pretty in Pink her career went into the toilet. It's a list of short lived sitcoms on psuedo networks and movies that went right to video. I sense that this burned out has been is trying to make herself relevant by jumping on the pound me nonsense.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000208/

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
If it wasn’t for Hughes she’d be a nobody. She’s done little else of note.

Online mountaineer

What Molly Ringwald’s New Yorker Essay Gets Wrong About Filmmaker John Hughes
John Hughes simply must be defended. He was a singular talent and could be considered the most overtly America-loving filmmaker since Frank Capra.
By Mark Hemingway   
April 10, 2018

In the latest New Yorker, still-adored 1980s film star Molly Ringwald has an essay about filmmaker John Hughes. His beloved films such as The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, and Pretty In Pink made Ringwald famous.

Hughes’s cultural impact is immeasurable, not just on film comedies but his sensitive portrayals of teenagers, and teenage girls especially. Hughes practically invented the genre that’s become known as “YA,” or young adult fiction.

In many respects, it’s an excellent essay, and Ringwald is a thoughtful and talented writer by any measure, not just grading on a celebrity curve. However, it seems that 30 years later Ringwald has some very mixed feelings about Hughes’ work. The subhead of Ringwald’s essay is “Revisiting the movies of my youth in the age of #MeToo.” I have some issues with critiquing Hughes’ work through a revisionist and politically correct lens the way Ringwald does here.... Read the rest at The Federalist
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
That scene is long gone and forgotten.  Who cares

Now the 15 seconds of Phoebe Cates getting out of the pool in Fast Times..............
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:01:17 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
That scene is long gone and forgotten.  Who cares

Now the 15 seconds of Phoebe Cates getting out of the pool in Fast Times..............

Doesn't anybody ever effing knock anymore?
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."