Author Topic: NY Times Op-Ed: Chappaquiddick Film Is ‘Character Assassination’ of Ted Kennedy  (Read 6778 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: Free Beacon

URL: http://freebeacon.com/culture/ny-times-op-ed-chappaquiddick-film-character-assassination-ted-kennedy/

by Alex Griswold   

In a New York Times op-ed published Friday, a liberal journalist and film critic complained the new film Chappaquiddick was a "character assassination" of its central character, Democratic Senator Ted Kennedy.

"How ‘Chappaquiddick’ Distorts a Tragedy" wrote Neal Gabler, who is working on a biography of Kennedy.

Gabler complained the film, released in theaters Friday, has been "heavily promoted by conservative media outlets, and reviewers across the political spectrum have praised what they deem its damning but factual approach. Damning it is; factual it is not."

There actually was no "cover-up" of Kennedy's car accident that led to the death of an aide, he claims, adding that "no one but the most lunatic conspiracy theorists see this as anything but a tragic accident in which nothing much was covered up."

Chappaquiddick tells the story of a car accident that occurred on Chappaquiddick Island, Massachusetts in 1969. The accident was caused by Kennedy's negligence and resulted in the death of his passenger, Mary Jo Kopechne, who was trapped inside the vehicle. The screenwriters have said their efforts in making the film aren’t partisan and they aimed to tell the facts of the story.

Gabler doesn't actually point to any factual errors in the film (save for the fact that Joe Kennedy, confined to a wheelchair by a stroke, likely wouldn't be able to grunt one-word dialogue like he does in the film). Instead, his criticism is limited more to the depiction of Kennedy as a character.

"In this version, the Kennedy character leaves Kopechne to die as she gasps for air, and then, with the aid of his brothers’ old advisers, cooks up a scheme to salvage his presidential ambitions. A more callow, cunning, cowardly and self-interested yet moronic figure you couldn’t find," he wrote.

Gabler claimed Kennedy actually felt "deep remorse and responsibility," and eventually grew to be "an indispensable legislator whose achievements included the 18-year-old vote, the Americans With Disabilities Act and the Children’s Health Insurance Program."

"It is very possible that over time, through the osmosis of social media, the despicable Kennedy of this movie will eradicate the honorable if flawed real one," Gabler wrote.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
"In this version, the Kennedy character leaves Kopechne to die as she gasps for air, and then, with the aid of his brothers’ old advisers, cooks up a scheme to salvage his presidential ambitions. A more callow, cunning, cowardly and self-interested yet moronic figure you couldn’t find," he wrote.

I remember when it happened.  And, the above is the impression that I got from the news at the time.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I remember when it happened.  And, the above is the impression that I got from the news at the time.
I read up on it a bit back when, and that is what I got, too. Oddly, (since she was a Catholic), Mary Jo's remains were cremated, iirc, which wasn't in line with church doctrine, but it sure prevented exhumation and any further post mortem examination.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

‘Chappaquiddick‘: Why the Liberal Team Behind the Controversial Ted Kennedy Film Shunned the Right-Wing Press
The liberal press won't embrace the film that conservatives love, and the filmmakers are caught in the middle of the controversial biopic.
Anne Thompson
Apr 6, 2018 1:54 pm
“Chappaquiddick” is a well-acted examination of the Ted Kennedy 1969 drunk-driving scandal that ended with young Democratic aide Mary Joe Kopechne trapped and drowned in Kennedy’s Volkswagen after it plunged into a pond off Dike Bridge. The new film appeals more to Republicans who hated him than the liberals who revere him — but it has a liberal director and star who refuse to publicize it through conservative outlets, and only a few under 40 know what “Chappaquiddick” means. So who will see it?

On the surface, it might seem to be a hatchet job on one of the Senate’s most respected politicians.  ...

But Clarke and Curran aren’t cooperating with right-wing press requests. Clarke complains that the movie is being shunned by liberal TV hosts such as HBO’s Bill Maher and MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow, who could clarify its intent. And Curran turned down an interview with Sean Hannity: “I said, ‘No ******’ way.’ I’m not embracing the right. They’re going to embrace this film anyway, see it through their own prism.  I could have picked a film that’s a lot easier to market.”

“There are people who wouldn’t take our money, who didn’t want the movie out,” said Allen at the Academy premiere. “I can tell you they are real — not a Kennedy family member, but obviously a Kennedy defender, people who love and support them. I couldn’t believe it 49 years later. We actually have a TV station in Boston that wouldn’t take our ad buy. Did we forget about the first amendment? Put aside your agenda, how about the truth? How about we honor Mary Joe Kopechne, one of the original #MeToo victims?”  ...
Full story at IndieWire
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 03:34:14 pm by Mod1 »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Smokin Joe

Volkswagen????

I  thought Teddy drove an Oldsmobile.

According to National Lampoon, "If he'd driven a Volkswagen, he'd have been president today....because they float!"

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 03:27:09 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Volkswagen?  I thought Teddy was driving an Olds when he went swimming that night.

Kennedy’s Volkswagen
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Frank Cannon

Volkswagen????

I  thought Teddy drove an Oldsmobile.

According to National Lampoon, "If he'd driven a Volkswagen, he'd have been president today....because they float!"

Delmont 88

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
‘Chappaquiddick‘: Why the Liberal Team Behind the Controversial Ted Kennedy Film Shunned the Right-Wing Press
The liberal press won't embrace the film that conservatives love, and the filmmakers are caught in the middle of the controversial biopic.
Anne Thompson
Apr 6, 2018 1:54 pm Full story at IndieWire

The first comment on Indiewire:

Christian Jacobs   April 7, 2018 9:17 am

This writer did not do her research. People involved with this movie have been on multiple conservative plugs. The executive producer was on the Ben Shapiro show plugging this just a couple of days ago. The media will say anything on either side to fit their BS agenda. Do your own research. The lack of substance on this review shows this leftist writer won’t even condemn a man who committed a terrible crime because they want to continue a false legacy they helped create in the first place. No wonder no one takes the media or journalists serious.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
April 7, 2018
Don’t miss Chappaquiddick!
By Thomas Lifson

The movie Chappaquiddick exceeded my very high expectations. Not only is it a truthful exploration of the events that led up the death of May Jo Kopechne  and the criminal cover-up of Ted Kennedy’s culpability therein, it goes deep into the character of the man, and how he got to the depraved state of indifference to the life of a young woman who had devoted herself to “the cause” of the Kennedy family.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/04/dont_miss_chappaquiddick.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Thanks for correcting me, mod. I hadn't noticed the profanity in what was quoted.

As gor the movie,  I really would like to see it. Apparently,  it's completely factual,  which is why Dems don't like it.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I  believe the Old Grey Whore doth protest too much.
The Republic is lost.

Offline goodwithagun

Assassination? Does the Times think The Swimmer was jealous of his brothers?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goatprairie

I remember reading a quote from a policeman who went to the scene and described it as a murder. Which I happen to agree with.  It took Kennedy nine-ten hours to report the accident because he was disoriented? Bullsh*t. He killed the girl and tried to cover it up. He was only concerned with his career.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Smokin Joe

I remember reading a quote from a policeman who went to the scene and described it as a murder. Which I happen to agree with.  It took Kennedy nine-ten hours to report the accident because he was disoriented? Bullsh*t. He killed the girl and tried to cover it up. He was only concerned with his career.
i always wondered if she was cremated to keep the pregnancy covered up. Imagine another bastard Kennedy running around, and you have motive enough for a homicide, and a Catholic girl (even a 'bad' one) wouldn't get an abortion... All speculation, of course, but it fits the philandering ways of the Kennedy tribe. No wonder the old man had a stroke...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 10:11:35 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

‘Chappaquiddick’ Star: Liberal Cable Hosts Like Maddow, Maher Are Ignoring the Film
BY: Alex Griswold   Follow @HashtagGriswold
April 5, 2018 1:41 pm

Actor Jason Clarke, who stars as Senator Ted Kennedy in the new film Chappaquiddick, said liberal cable news programs were ignoring the film about the scandal in which Kennedy abandoned the scene of an accident, leaving his passenger to drown.

Clarke was asked by Deadline Hollywood if politically-themed cable news shows were interested in covering the film. "To my knowledge, the ones on the left unfortunately aren’t really embracing it, but the ones on the right seem to be all over it," he said.

"Look, we’ve definitely gotten a lot interest from the right from Fox, but the left are not engaging," he said. "Bill Maher and Rachel Maddow passed on covering the film. I think Chris Mathews is still considering but hasn’t committed, and The New York Times isn’t really entering into a dialogue about it." Both Maddow and Matthews host MSNBC shows, while Maher hosts a political talk show on HBO.

Clarke noted the Times reticence is ironic, given that it was a Times journalist who broke the 1969 Chappaquiddick story to begin with.  ... Rest of article at Free Beacon

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
How can the character of Ted Kennedy be attacked? He had no character.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Smokin Joe

How can the character of Ted Kennedy be attacked? He had no character.
His worshipful minions thought he did, and that's the bunch who are whining. Those of us who recognized him for what he was have no such illusions.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
SOURCE: Free Beacon

by Alex Griswold   

Ok,so he DID know Fat Teddy. So what's he bitching about?

BTW,I see no mention of Fat Boy not being charged with drunk driving or leaving the scene of an accident,either. In FACT,he wasn't charged with anything until some people started to raise a stink about it,and then they suddenly came up with a record of him pleading guilty and paying a small fine for leaving the scene or an accident,

As a former DRAFTEE during the Korean War whose daddy got him sent to Germany to be a MP so he wouldn't go to Korea,you would think he would have known that. After all,he was promoted to the exhaulted rank of E-4 before he was discharged.

He was set to get an automatic commission as an officer,but was caught cheating on the test.

Online Smokin Joe

Ok,so he DID know Fat Teddy. So what's he bitching about?

BTW,I see no mention of Fat Boy not being charged with drunk driving or leaving the scene of an accident,either. In FACT,he wasn't charged with anything until some people started to raise a stink about it,and then they suddenly came up with a record of him pleading guilty and paying a small fine for leaving the scene or an accident,

As a former DRAFTEE during the Korean War whose daddy got him sent to Germany to be a MP so he wouldn't go to Korea,you would think he would have known that. After all,he was promoted to the exhaulted rank of E-4 before he was discharged.

He was set to get an automatic commission as an officer,but was caught cheating on the test.
All I can say is that if it were you ro me behind the wheel of that Olds, and we had acted the same way (unlikely), the outcome would have been much different. We do have the best justice system money can buy.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Author's name is Griswold?  Got to be related to another who knows a thing or two about vehicular action.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Sanguine

And THAT is saying something when you consider the news at that time NEVER wrote anything negative about a Kennedy.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I read up on it a bit back when, and that is what I got, too. Oddly, (since she was a Catholic), Mary Jo's remains were cremated, iirc, which wasn't in line with church doctrine, but it sure prevented exhumation and any further post mortem examination.

@Smokin Joe

It also kept the public from finding out if Mary Joe may have been pregnant.

Causen GAWD wanted Teddy protected,of course. I have seen recorded interviews of Kennedy voters in the 60's where people,mostly old women,were saying they would vote for ANY Kennedy because they were all so handsome,because they were good Catholics,and because that was what God wanted."

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Assassination? Does the Times think The Swimmer was jealous of his brothers?

@goodwithagun

Of course he was. How would YOU like to be identified as "The stupid Kennedy"?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
All I can say is that if it were you ro me behind the wheel of that Olds, and we had acted the same way (unlikely), the outcome would have been much different. We do have the best justice system money can buy.

@Smokin Joe

Absolutely,and you know what? If it had been you or I,WE would have deserved having the hammer dropped on us for it,too.

Then again,we ain't "special".