Author Topic: ‘Children die every day. Many have AIDS.’ How Russian officials responded to the deadly fire  (Read 593 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
‘Children die every day. Many have AIDS.’ How Russian officials responded to the deadly fire at a shopping mall in Kemerovo
Meduza   27 march 2018

Kemerovo officials: “Why the calls for immediate resignations?”

On March 27, locals and many relatives of those killed in Sunday’s tragic fire rallied in Kemerovo's central square. When one of the demonstrators, a man named Igor Vostrikov, accused the authorities of treating their constituents like animals, Lieutenant Governor Sergey Tsivilev answered, “Young man, what do you mean? Do you want to exploit this grief for PR purposes?” Vostrikov then explained that his entire family died in the fire: his wife, his sister, and his three children.

A woman from the Kemerovo administrative office tried to shout down the protesters’ calls for government accountability, telling the crowd: “Why the panic? Why the calls for immediate resignations? Children die every day. Many have AIDS.”

Read more at: https://meduza.io/en/feature/2018/03/27/children-die-every-day-many-have-aids

The governor from that region, resigned.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 03:21:30 pm by TomSea »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I think my all-time favorite Russian headline read "Minister says "We don't have sex in the Soviet Union".

Her statement was in response to a question put to her as an official of the Soviet Health Ministry that asked "What is Russia doing about the AIDS epidemic?" during an international AIDS convention. She replied that there are no AIDS cases in the Soviet Union "because we do not have sex."

There was even a video clip of her saying it to the reporters,and showing other reporters howling with laughter. This was a couple of years before the USSR collapsed and disappeared before reforming in California.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
This was a couple of years before the USSR collapsed and disappeared before reforming in California.

I always wondered where it went.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I always wondered where it went.

@Free Vulcan

It went to the US Left Coast and Northeast. It's spreading,too. Virginia is no longer a southern state for all practical reasons.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!