Author Topic: Ex-Guatemalan dictator Rios Montt dies, leaves bitter legacy  (Read 405 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Ex-Guatemalan dictator Rios Montt dies, leaves bitter legacy
« on: April 01, 2018, 11:26:14 pm »
Center Man below:

Ex-Guatemalan dictator Rios Montt dies, leaves bitter legacy
Sofia Menchu

GUATEMALA CITY (Reuters) - Former Guatemalan military dictator Efrain Rios Montt died at the age of 91 on Sunday, a bitterly divisive figure in the country’s long civil war who escaped a 2013 genocide conviction only to face renewed charges last year.

At the time of his death, which his lawyer Luis Rosales announced, Rios Montt was again on trial for genocide for his role during one of the bloodiest phases of the Cold War-era conflict that lasted from 1960 until 1996.

“He died facing justice,” said on Twitter Claudia Paz y Paz, a former Guatemalan attorney general who was instrumental in bringing charges against members of the military accused of committing atrocities during the civil war.

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-guatemala-riosmontt/ex-guatemalan-dictator-rios-montt-dies-leaves-bitter-legacy-idUSKCN1H81FB

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Ex-Guatemalan dictator Rios Montt dies, leaves bitter legacy
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 11:28:54 pm »
In the '80s, there was a slew of movies on the wars in Central America, one really has to delve into history. At 91, perhaps Rios Montt was even in Guatemala when the alleged United Fruit Company/CIA story took place. This is stuff that leftists and communists will tell you. That said, I have a negative impression of him. Didn't Clinton apologize for genocide to Guatemala?

Good movie, "El Norte"... that young brother and sister came up from Guatemala.

Rios Montt: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efra%C3%ADn_R%C3%ADos_Montt
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 11:30:00 pm by TomSea »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Ex-Guatemalan dictator Rios Montt dies, leaves bitter legacy
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 12:55:07 am »
I'm trilled.  Thanks for posting this Tommy. 888high58888
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."