Author Topic: Louisiana is the only state that requires occupational licenses for florists. It's absurd.  (Read 1200 times)

Online mountaineer

Louisiana is the only state that requires occupational licenses for florists. It's absurd.
Louisiana is the only state that requires florists to obtain a license. However, many states have absurd licensing laws that need to be nixed.
Shoshana Weissmann and C. Jarrett Dieterle, Opinion Contributors
 Published 7:00 a.m. ET March 28, 2018
“Sandy Meadows died alone and in poverty because the State of Louisiana wouldn’t allow her to work in a perfectly harmless occupation.”   So said Clark Neily, who represented Meadows in an unsuccessful attempt to overturn Louisiana’s floristry licensing law back in 2003.

In a nation rife with wacky occupational licensing laws — different states around the country license everything from fortunetellers to frog farmers — Louisiana has stood alone as the only state that mandates a license for putting together a bouquet. Now, nearly 14 years after Meadows’ death, Louisiana may finally be on the brink of overturning this absurd requirement. ...

Louisiana’s floristry license certainly stands out for its one-of-a-kind nature, but needless occupational licensing is a widespread problem. Many other states also have outdated, nonsensical licensing laws on their books that affect practitioners in industries such as cosmetology, barbering, interior design and more. Because each state has different requirements, individuals in these fields often have difficulty moving across state lines and continuing to practice their occupation.  ...
More at USA Today
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

New Study Shows West Virginia Ranked 14th Worst in Occupational Licensing Requirements
Nov 16, 2017 by AFP

CHARLESTON, W. VA –  A new study released this week by the Institute for Justice shows that West Virginia ranks as the 14th worst state for the broadest and most onerous licensing requirements. The Mountain State requires licensing for 70 of the 102 jobs the report studied, with an average of more than six months training and nearly $200 in fees.

Occupational licenses are regulations that mandate Americans, often unnecessarily, receive the government’s permission to start a particular business or job. According to the research, one in four Americans now requires an occupational license before they can work.  ... Americans for Prosperity

Link to the Institute for Justice study, covering all states.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I am so glad this issue is starting to get attention.

:thumbsup:
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I'm surprised the gay florist union hasn't marched to protest this obvious slight to there membership.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."