Author Topic: Trump is determined to take down Amazon — and it could be terrible news for HQ2  (Read 10650 times)

Offline jpsb

I used to be a regular at Amazon. But ever since Jeff Bezos turned the once great Washington Post
into an HQ for fake news. I've switched to Ebay for most of my on-line purchases.

Offline Applewood

I've been suspicious of Ebay ever since a friend bought concert tickets from a seller on that site, and the tickets turned out to be bogus. 

I believe Amazon does a better job of selecting scrupulous vendors and canning any that turn out to be disreputable.

Offline Polly Ticks

I've been suspicious of Ebay ever since a friend bought concert tickets from a seller on that site, and the tickets turned out to be bogus. 

I believe Amazon does a better job of selecting scrupulous vendors and canning any that turn out to be disreputable.

And their customer service is excellent if there ever is an issue.  Ever try to get a refund from an eBay seller?
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Frank Cannon

I've been suspicious of Ebay ever since a friend bought concert tickets from a seller on that site.....

Concert tickets off Ebay? Do these people also buy their prescription medication from a guy in a rusty van behind the local Lens Crafters?

Offline Frank Cannon

Ever try to get a refund from an eBay seller?

Yeah. Paypal guarantees everything. Never had a problem getting my money back. 

Offline Applewood

Concert tickets off Ebay? Do these people also buy their prescription medication from a guy in a rusty van behind the local Lens Crafters?

Exactly.  I didn't think it was a good idea and told her so, but as usual, no one listens to me.  LOL

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

LOL

I bet they buy stereo speakers from the same guy.....
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I used to be a regular at Amazon. But ever since Jeff Bezos turned the once great Washington Post
into an HQ for fake news. I've switched to Ebay for most of my on-line purchases.

WaPo has always been HQ for fake news, right along with NYT.

Offline Frank Cannon

LOL

I bet they buy stereo speakers from the same guy.....

Nah. They don't trust him for that. They use Craigslist for speakers..........and some Casual Encounters.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

I have to ask Trump supporters.  Is this really the kind of president you want?

As one who generally supports the guy, I don't do the "kind of President" thing.  I care about what actually happens, and what doesn't.  If Trump says something stupid/pointless/ignorant, or has a really stupid idea, I don't care unless it gets enacted and has a real, substantive effect.

In this instance, I don't support trying to "take down" Amazon, but he can't do it anyway so it is basically a non-issue for me. 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Nah. They don't trust him for that. They use Craigslist for speakers..........and some Casual Encounters.
True story: a couple years ago, I was perusing Craigslist and started looking at the Personals section, just for jollies.

I came across a "woman seeking man" personal. A blurry picture, seemed like a decent enough person, not that I'd ever date anyone off that site. I wondered why she'd be on a seedy place like Craigslist. Well, a couple of days later, I found out. Another guy had apparently taken the bait and found out "she" was a shemale.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
As one who generally supports the guy, I don't do the "kind of President" thing.  I care about what actually happens, and what doesn't.  If Trump says something stupid/pointless/ignorant, or has a really stupid idea, I don't care unless it gets enacted and has a real, substantive effect.

In this instance, I don't support trying to "take down" Amazon, but he can't do it anyway so it is basically a non-issue for me.

Even in his 'trying' he is wiping out billions in investor value with his mouth and his thumbs.

Even in his 'trying' he is lying about their not paying taxes (they actually pay a crap load).

Even in his 'trying' he is threatening a national sales tax on them.

Even in his 'trying' he is threatening to sick the justice department on them for anti-trust violations even though the are in no way a monopoly. (they are big because consumers choose them, not because there isn't competition).

Is there anything about this that is Conservative for supports free markets?

Offline Victoria33

If this story is true, I'd like to know how he can legally target and destroy a business. 
And contrary to what this report says --  if he is successful in destroying Amazon, he's going to have a lot of very irate people on his hands.  Jeff Bezos should be the least of his worries.
@Applewood

Jeff Bezos did not vote for him and that is why he wants to destroy the man and also wants to destroy Jeff because Jeff has more money than he does.  This is a personal attack on Jeff to bring him down.  Little Parade Boy is major jealous that Jeff's money isn't his.  Amazon is wonderful to get what you want/need, especially if you have medical issues that limits your walking or you don't have transportation to get to a store.  Messing with Amazon, and taking away peoples' pain medicine as he just did, will insure he won't be reelected.

AND Jeff owns the Washington Post.  Trump wants that newspaper to go away, so go after Jeff for owning that paper along with the reasons above.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 02:47:55 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline skeeter

I'll go a step farther and say having someone who behaves more like the personally flawed guy you know at work as a president is a healthy thing, if the alternative is having a 'Great Helmsman' or 'Dear Leader', feted in song by publicly educated schoolchildren, like our last president.

People who want a father figure in office are most likely to be offended by the dumb, unpresidential things Trump sometimes does, like a child catching dad picking his nose.

As long as he brings the paycheck home, who cares?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Applewood

Jeff Bezos did not vote for him and that is why he wants to destroy the man and also wants to destroy Jeff because Jeff has more money than he does.  This is a personal attack on Jeff to bring him down.  Little Parade Boy is major jealous that Jeff's money isn't his.  Amazon is wonderful to get what you want/need, especially if you have medical issues that limits your walking or you don't have transportation to get to a store.  Messing with Amazon, and taking away peoples' pain medicine as he just did, will insure he won't be reelected.

Yeah, as, I think it was @Polly Ticks who said upthread, this is not a winning issue with the voters for Mr. Trump.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline ABX

Amazon is down over 2 percent again today on heavy volume still reacting to Trump's tweets- a loss of about 1.3 billion in shareholder value.

Offline ABX

..and he went on a trumpertantrum on twitter against Amazon again this morning.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/president-trump-attacks-amazon-tweet/story?id=54093899

debrawiest

Amazon is down over 2 percent again today on heavy volume still reacting to Trump's tweets- a loss of about 1.3 billion in shareholder value.

Ugh.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
..and he went on a trumpertantrum on twitter against Amazon again this morning.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/president-trump-attacks-amazon-tweet/story?id=54093899

This is the kind of chit that's going to get him impeached.  Using the power of his office to attempt to crush one very popular company will have even staunch Republicans out for blood.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline thackney

Not anymore

Why People Are Upset Craigslist Shut Down The Personals Page
https://www.advocate.com/technology/2018/3/27/why-people-are-upset-craigslist-shut-down-personals-page

"The best of" will never be the same...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Applewood

[/b]

But even if he can't do anything -- just his tweets and his whining adversely affects the markets.  He starts a trade war and the Dow plunges.  He threatens Amazon and Amazon's stock drops.  This stupid childishness doesn't just affect the stereotypical investor with plenty of money who can afford to lose big.  It ruins pension plans, IRAs and nest eggs that a lot of us ordinary shlubs depend on or will depend on in our golden years. 

Maybe you are the stereotypical investor -- I don't know -- but for most of the rest of us, yes, this is an issue -- a big issue.

Offline ABX

[/b]

But even if he can't do anything -- just his tweets and his whining adversely affects the markets.  He starts a trade war and the Dow plunges.  He threatens Amazon and Amazon's stock drops.  This stupid childishness doesn't just affect the stereotypical investor with plenty of money who can afford to lose big.  It ruins pension plans, IRAs and nest eggs that a lot of us ordinary shlubs depend on or will depend on in our golden years. 

Maybe you are the stereotypical investor -- I don't know -- but for most of the rest of us, yes, this is an issue -- a big issue.

And all of this, the Commander in Chief of the US Armed Forces & Executive Branch of the Government has zero business getting into.

Yet masses and masses on the right are cheering this simply for their hate of the politics of Amazon's owner.

Just wait until this is flipped (again).

Offline kevindavis007

I'm concerned about the future ramifications if Trump is successful. So basically if you want to business in America you have to be 100% loyal to the President?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Idiot

This is the kind of chit that's going to get him impeached.  Using the power of his office to attempt to crush one very popular company will have even staunch Republicans out for blood.

I predicted he'd be impeached 6 months after his election.  It appears I may be a year or two too early.  When the repubs are slaughtered in the mid-terms, he'll be gone 6 months after that.  The die is already cast.

Offline Applewood

And all of this, the Commander in Chief of the US Armed Forces & Executive Branch of the Government has zero business getting into.

Yet masses and masses on the right are cheering this simply for their hate of the politics of Amazon's owner.

Just wait until this is flipped (again).

I wonder if any in those cheering masses knows where their employer's pension plan or where their own nest egg is invested.  I'm willing to bet that a lot of them have stock in Amazon, or maybe WaPO for that matter, and don't know it.