Author Topic: How will The Americans' Final Season End? Q&A with the Creators Behind the Cold War Spy Drama  (Read 609 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Nick Gillespie & Meredith Bragg
Reason.com
March 26, 2018

"We all struggle with questions of our true identity, our identity with our loved ones, and our public personas," says Joe Weisberg, the creator of FX's cold-war drama The Americans, which begins its final season on March 28, in an exclusive interview with Reason's Nick Gillespie. "In this final season, that all comes to a head for the characters, who have to deal with it in their careers as spies, challenging their loyalty to their family, but also testing it against their loyalty to one another in their marriage, and their loyalty to their country, and their core idealistic beliefs."

More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VCdfS4z26Y
! No longer available

Offline goatprairie

Although the wife and I have been watching most of the episodes and will watch the new ones, I've never been a huge fan of the series.
I got a little turned off early on when they decided to have the female Russky spy be a super martial arts fighter capable of throwing around and beating the hell out of 200 lb male spy opponents  who outweighed her by one hundred pounds.
 I remember one fight where  her male opponent threw her against a wall several times and landed a bunch of blows on her. She promptly got up each time and thrashed  him. Now I can do a lot of suspending disbelief in watching action flicks, but that was too much.
Having her  simply shoot her opponent I suppose would not have been enough for the show's writers. No, they had to show a slight women beating the snot out of much larger males who were supposedly trained in fighting like her. Simply couldn't get my mind around it.
And they didn't just have her do it once, they had her beating up much bigger males numerous times.
In real life, one strong punch to her face by a male twice her size would probably have knocked her out and possibly killed her and at least broken every facial bone.
That trope of small women beating up much larger males, common in so many modern films and tv shows, had a noticeable effect in my casting a cold eye on the whole series.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 05:23:07 pm by goatprairie »

Offline Frank Cannon

How will The Americans' Final Season End?

With nobody caring?