Author Topic: Wrinkles, liver spots, crows’ feet: what happens to our skin as we age?  (Read 582 times)

rangerrebew

Cosmos Conversation Biology 24 March 2018
Wrinkles, liver spots, crows’ feet: what happens to our skin as we age?
Not all skin is created equal, and the implications of that become visibly manifest as we grow older. Dermatologist Michelle Rodrigues explains.

This article is part of The Conversation's series about skin: why we have it, what it does and what can go wrong. Read other articles in the series here.

The main factors that contribute to how old we look include the shape of our face, the number of lines or wrinkles, and the luminosity of our skin. Each of these is influenced by intrinsic and external factors.

Skin is the most visible organ. So ageing skin has a big impact on a person’s self-esteem. Aussies spend nearly A$5 billion per year on skin care products and treatments, with Queenslanders spending the most on beauty per capita.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/wrinkles-liver-spots-crows-feet-what-happens-to-our-skin-as-we-age

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
Little known "trick" that has been around for 40-plus years:  Sun block.  I used total sun block on my nose and forehead when I was a surfer.  It was called zinc oxide.  Ugly, very ugly, but it prevented a whole lot of problems later on in life.

You put on some lotion or oil on your cleansed face and skin every single night.  That does stop most major wrinkles.  I have the laugh lines, but that is fine with me.  If you have a bout with the ever problematic acne that a lot of older folks seem to be getting nowadays, just get some face cream, put it in the palm of your hand and add plain old salt.  Wash your face with it.  No more blemishes.

There is a new product on the market that I am dying to try.  I have always though this would work with some pesky little wrinkles.  It is a filler plus an anti-aging serum.  I have tried almost all of the anti-aging serums.  They do not unage your skin, but keeps your skin from aging more.  So this new product with the "fill" might be good for the laugh lines.

Just my humble opinion.  If you want a great tan, there are products now that can give you a very nice tan.  Beware of the heat of the day sun.

Oh, and I keep a tube of sun block in my car.  I do get the brown spots on my hands.  Stopped that nonsense.  Put that stuff on your hands before you start driving.
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Applewood

I always thought crow's feet were hereditary.  My mother's side all has them. 

My dad's side, on the other hand, always look younger than they are.  My paternal grandmother was 90 when she passed.  Had hardly a wrinkle. 

However, Grandma was a tough old bird -- stubborn and contrary.  My Dad always said gis mother didn't have wrinkles -- she just gave everyone else wrinkles.